(that's ST2:TWoK talk)
Well, the judgement came down late today to try to extubate Amelia in the morning. Xina and I are both excited and terrified at the thought. I think there are mixed opinions around here (here being the NICU) about what will happen, and I wouldn't put down a bet either way if I were a betting man. Her gases today weren't great, both at 70, but they were good enough for the dr to wean her BPM (breaths per minute) to 20. She's satting well for it with little O2 support. The night RT (respiratory therapist) just told me that early this morning they were having trouble with her ventilator, and while they were trying to fix it, she was being bagged for her air support. Apparently, she needed very few bagged breaths (about 20 max, she said) during it, and the rest she breathed on her own. And she satted in the 90s the whole time... so she's on the glass half full side.
One of the issues with the extubating is Ameia's ROP... if they put her on the CPAP and she needs a lot of O2 support to handle it, then it could affect her ROP - in the wrong way, of course. But I guess they feel good enough about where she is that they don't consider that a risk. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to go over that issue with either opthamalogist or attending neonatalogist.
She lost about 15grams today, but is still 4lb 9ozs. Nothing else to report.
Cross your fingers and stroke your lucky rabbit's foots.
No comments:
Post a Comment