Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Off of CPAP ASAP

The NNP came by yesterday and laid out the plan for Miss Amelia. She says the goal is to turn down her pressure every other day and get her to nasal cannula in 2 weeks so we can start bottle feeding. You should have seen the look on my face. I told her I was pretty incredulous. But the NNP chirped along and said well we are just going to make her do it. So if they go according to plan, Amelia will be weaned to CPAP 6 today. The "well we are just going to make her do it" does not set a great precedence for what lies ahead for me and Todd as parents!

Amelia is on high levels of oxygen and in the past this was cause for worry and concern. However, now that Amelia's ROP is regressing (and it never comes back once it regresses) the danger of 100% oxygen is over (and the NNP pointed out although she might have gotten 100% oxygen, her blood never satted at 100% and that is the real danger). Kids that go home on oxygen, which we are 100% certain she will, get 100% through the nasal cannula, because you can't do all the fancy mixes with a home system. So if Amelia requires higher and higher rates of oxygen as she comes down on her pressure, it is not that big a deal.

I find it all weird she was talking about feeding Amelia without a tube because the last couple of days I have been having dreams of nursing Amelia at home in our comfy chenille rocker we bought long before we knew she was going to be born so early. It sits in the corner of her room waiting for the chance to rock her to sleep.

Yesterday we had a visit from Miss Becky who got to meet the baby for the first time! Amelia slept the entire visit like an angel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your dreams because they have such a weird way of coming true sometimes- I believe you will be nursing Amelia in that rocker someday- won't that be wonderful? The thought of it must be so relaxing... Love, Bridget

Post a Comment