Friday, July 10, 2009

CPAP Day 2

We are starting on the second day of CPAP. Her blood gas this morning was 81. Still not very good. Her primary Patsy is at the helm today and she says she is not sure how long the doctor is going to let her hang out in the 80s. Does this mean she may go back on the vent? It is a possibility, but not necessarily.

Todd spent the night at Amelia's bedside last night and he saw the doctor very early this morning when he came in just to check on her (not part of rounds). He mentioned maybe putting her on epinephrin. I am not sure yet if this is in addition to or instead of the allbuterol. I know they kind of serve the same function, but I think epinephrin may be stronger. These are things I still have questions about. I know that I have taken epinephrin when I have a severe allergic reaction to cats. My throat constricts and the epinephrin opens up my lungs and throat. Perhaps this will allow Amelia to let go of her CO2 she is holding on to. Another option may be to increase the pressure on the CPAP. (note : she has a little wheezing going on, similar to an asthma wheeze, which is one reason they were thinking about the epinephrin. They don't know the source yet, but it's likely her throat is a little enflamed from the tube being stuck it for 95 days.)

Amelia is breathing easily on the CPAP and is satting pretty well. She is getting used to the appartus, which surely must be annoying with the head strap and the prongs up the nose. (her blood pressure is down today from yesterday, and she doesn't cry immediately when she sees the new stuff on her face.) All will be revealed at rounds and I will update you on what they decide. (note: her O2 needs are a little higher than what they were last night, but not overly. It might be a sign of her tiring, or of the effect of whatever is causing her wheeze.

UPDATE 9:56PM: The doctor has decided to throw blood gases out the window. No more using it as a barometer for anything. He is just going to look at Amelia to decide what to do next. If she is breathing normally without a bunch of panting, labored b reaths and if she keeps her sats up, she will stay on CPAP. Since she was doing all of that at rounds, he is keeping her where she is. If she is still tolerating her settings on day three, he will wean the pressure on her CPAP down to 7. A CPAP of 5 gets her off of CPAP and onto nasal cannula.

She is at 4 lbs. 10 oz. tonight. Her nightime primary Erica says that she is satting in the high 80s, breathing easily on 45% oxygen and is sleeping like a rock on her tummy.

7 comments:

Erica said...

Wow! I'm so happy that things are going well and I will pray that they continue to progress well. I KNOW Amelia can do this. I am quite sure that she is ready to go HOME!
Silly question: How are they feeding her? I assumed she wasn't on a bottle yet with the tube in her throat.
Also, I'm sure she still does have a little time left before plans are made to go home, but are there any special preparations or classes or anything that you can or will need to do before she comes home?
Ok, enough questions, I know that you want to enjoy your family right now. I'm just so happy and excited for you. We love you all!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Marie Grip

Xinathebigsister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xinathebigsister said...

They feed her through a tube that goes directly to her tummy. It is called an OG tube. If you look in the pictures it is orange. She cannot be bottle fed until she is off of CPAP and on nasal cannula. As far as training, they do 4 days of training with you before you leave the hospital and do something called "care by parent." This means you spend anywhere from two to four days in a room at the Ronald McDonald House (right down the hallway from the NICU) taking care of your own baby 24-7. Nurses are all around to help you out, but you are pretty much on your own. It is a nice transition from hospital to home.

Anonymous said...

Awwww rock on, Miss Amelia! Wow, she's gonna be home soon at this rate, how awesome! She's a lot more adaptable than me; I couldn't sleep with a CPAP at all, let alone on my tummy, good on her! That's great that they have the "care by parent" program, I bet you and Todd will just breeze right through it. You guys are the best parents, the little one is so lucky to have you. (((((((((Love to all))))))))) Kay

Mandy said...

Wonderful!!!! So happy she's off the tube! What a trooper little Amelia is:) She'll be home and playing Nancy Drew with her BFF before you know it!

Take care of yourselves, too. She needs you in tip top shape to deal with her antics. {{{Hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! she has made wonderful progress! you go girl!!
love you!!!!,
mackie g.

Post a Comment