Thursday, July 9, 2009

Extubation Jubilation!


Amelia in her bouncy seat.
Look ma, no tape!
Minutes after coming off of the vent and on to CPAP.
We have CPAP! It has only been about 15 minutes, but it is so much different than last time. She satted in the 90s immediately and it is about the same as when she was on the vent. She is on 43% oxygen and weaning. We heard some little squeaks from her voice when she cried out. She is not happy with the prongs in her nose, but she must be relieved there is no tube in her throat! I will post pictures and add more later.
Update : it's 9pm, and she's still doing great. They just changed out CPAP machines... this one is a little more comfortable on her on her head and it has a variable setting that gives her a minimum of support plus what she needs. It looks more obtrusive and is louder. But it's gentler on her lungs. She's still satting very consistently. She finally woke up after the shift change, and once she was wide awake, she became VERY aware of the new thing on her head; she did not like that one bit. She cried and cried and cried. And they aren't just squeaks anymore - her crying isn't silent. Her vocal chords, of course, are still enflamed from the vent tube and are not strong. So it's a gaspy cry... but I don't want to hear her when they're healed... it sounds like she has her father's capacity for vocal largesse; and that's not necessarily a good thing (just ask Xina about it... I don't yell, I merely project!)
But she got some food in her belly and wore herself out. I sang some with her, and she took to sucking her pacifier, and that calmed her down a lot (the pacifier, not the singing... I wouldn't be surprised if the singing was exacerbating her discomfort.) Now she's sleeping peacefully.
We're hopeful right now. She's hada few minor desats recently, but that's to be expected, and it happened after her feed... so maybe she's like her grandfathers, who enjoy naps after meals when the blood heads down to their stomachs.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!!!!! Go Little Miss Amelia!

Aunt JoJo

Jenny V said...

This is such a blessing! God has his own way of doing things and he has his angels looking over her. She is a trooper!

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! Keep it up, Amelia! More prayers en route. Marie Grip

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!
great job Amelia!
love, Barocos

Rebecca said...

fantastic! Such wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS YOU AMELIA....YOU KEEP IT UP MAMA! WE ARE THINKING OF YOU ALWAYS!

Anonymous said...

Grandad and I are holding your hands even tho' we're not there. A 8,280 ft up, close to the heavens, I hope the Maker has been hearing us a littler louder each day. We can hardly keep our hands off the phone to see how things are progressing, but I know you are right there holding Amelia's hands. Give her a kiss and tell her "deep breathing" is good. We love you and will see you as soon as we get back. Love to all!

Kathy said...

IM SOOOO HAPPY!!! We pray for Amelia everyday and will continue to do so! Go, girl, go!!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

How Wonderful! What amazing news! Your little girl is a fighter. You will always have your hands full. What wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news!
We love you all-
Susan Jones

Anonymous said...

She looks awesome! We are so happy for you all! Love, Bridget

Anonymous said...

Go Amelia!!!! OH this just makes my day, my week, it's awesome! Best news I've had in ages! Much love to all- K

Unknown said...

We're cheering here in the Gayler household!! Great news for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update! There is so much love out here for your little girl, you just wouldn't believe it. She has been on my mind and in my heart since the day she was born, so this is a wonderful day to me, one of many more to come! Love you, little one! K

glenna said...

Dear Todd and Christina,
This is the day we ALL have long awaited. I can only imagine just how joyous a day it was for you. Amelia will continue to improve, and I believe rapidly since she is now able to breath pretty much on her own. I know her ride home can't be far behind, now.

Being new parents for you has certainly been out of the "norm". Not being able to hold you first child for a month after her birth, not hearing her cry for three months (well maybe that one is not necessarily bad from what I understand :)) having to change her diapers through the holes of an isolette, the logistics of holding her with all the wires and tubes, just changing her clothes and bedding was certainly exhausting. You know medical terminology that I would hope and pray few others would have to experience. The seemingly endless length to your days with traveling the 45 minutes (on a good day) to see Amelia with the negotiating of traffic, and parking garages, work schedules, and all the hospital jargon. Throw in the daily running of your household with paying bills, walking dogs, mowing lawns, making meals..........and I realize few of us could have done this for long without loosing it. I can promise you (and you already know this) that it will all be worth it.

A child brings a certain completion to the vows you took so long ago. She will fill you up in a way you never knew possible. Part of you will be lost but will re-emerge as something bigger, something better than the "me" or "I" that has been who you were before she was born. In a short period of time you won't be able to recall or imagine your life without a child in it. She has forever changed the footprint of who you are, and who you will become.

Amelia's Grandparents (I think I can speak for all four of us) will certainly be at the ready to hold you up and continue to encourage, bolster (you'll draw on that one later), and provide love and guidance for you whenever necessary.

See you soon, Love MOM/Grammy



PS---Please, all of Amelia's followers-don't drop her off your prayer list yet. Much has been accomplished because of your steadfast faithful prayers and we continue to depend upon you and will for some time. The power of prayer brings possibilities to the impossible. Thank you all for caring.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Baby Amelia, you are growing so well, and are just beautiful! You are always in our prayers. We are so happy to hear that you are doing so very well!
Vickie Cross

Post a Comment