First I want to thank my friend Gin for knitting several baby hats and sending them to me. One was very embellished with a flower and leaves and the others were solid pink and green. The fancy one is for Miss Amelia and the others are for babies in the NICU. What a thoughtful gift. They are in the wash right now and I can't wait to put it on her head today!
Amelia's other primary is on her case today and she wants to recommend holding off on pulling the plug on the vent until after her eye exam tomorrow. Her reasoning is sound, but I don't want Amelia to wait two more days. I am afraid the window of opportunity to get her off the vent due to the steroids will close if we don't act now. Nurse Patsy explains that the eye exam may stress her out and make it harder for her to breath when she is on CPAP. The exam is tomorrow, but late in the afternoon, and they always extubate in the morning. Anyway, the NNP rounds before 9:00am and the nurse said she would call us if her decision to wait on extubation is overidden and they decide to go for it anyway.
Her blood gas was excellent this morning. 66 on her CO2! She was given a blood transfusion yesterday because her hemacrit was low. She lost 15 grams in weight, but she is still 4 lbs. 9 oz.
I fell asleep praying for Amelia last night. Everyone continue to pray for her and hope she can finally take her first unassisted breaths and STAY off of assistance.
8 comments:
Amelia will be in our thoughts and prayers today, as always, but with a little extra persistence. Marie Grip
Hey Christina, just called Pasty for an update. I would like to see her extubated while she has her blood on board- as long as she's not too wet. Actually glad to hear she lost some- she was getting a little too puffy. If they do wait until after the eye exam, then I can be there on Thursday and Pasty will work the rest of the weekend- might be the best thing. Whatever gives her the very best odds of kicking that old vent to the curb for good! I will be checking back later for the verdict.
Oh, Christina... we are all praying for her to get of the vent and start breathing on her own. Whether it is after the eye exam or sooner, whatever is best for our beautiful angel. Love and kisses.
Pennie
((((((Xina&Todd&Amelia)))))))) I'm with Pennie, whatever's best for her. I can see both their points but I'm kind of with Jacqui (we've had one preemie and one adult on a vent in our family) on this one. Just whatever is best for Amelia and I continue to hold her up and put her in much bigger hands. Can't wait to see pics with her new chapeau!
We have been anxiously awaiting more good news on Amelia all day. It's hard to understand how and why some things happen as they do, but ours is not to question why....... To one who has FAITH, no explanation is necessary. To one without FAITH, no explanation is possible. Faith gives substance to our hopes, and makes us certain of realities not seen.
I am inviting all those who would like to participate in a communal recitation of the rosary join in tonight at 7:00pm in our own homes for Amelia. It matters not whether you are Catholic, say whatever prayers you'd like at the 7:00 hour and know that we are all taking part at the same time. There is power in prayer.
Love Mom/Amelia's Grammy
Our prayers are with you, God willing she will pull thru and be able to be strong and get off the vent. God has a plan for Amelia...
We said a rosary tonight as a family for Amelia (thanks for the call, Glenna). Zelda and Aidan helped lead it. It was so beautiful to see them praying for Amelia. I felt so blessed, and like I was getting more than I was giving. Little Amelia has given me another precious gift, as she does so often when I think of her. She reminds me to love, love, love. We will keep up the prayers! Love, Bridget
Thank you for all the prayers. I know they are working. Today is the eye exam and then tomorrow extubation. Now is the time for her to get it in gear!
Post a Comment