Friday, June 19, 2009

When Mohammed Can't Come to the Mountain

the mountain must come to Mohammed. Amelia isn't ready to go stay at her grandparents' houses yet so they have to come to her. Wednesday was GrandDad's turn and yesterday was GrandMom's turn. They both enjoyed their hold time immensely. Amelia didn't behave herself when grandad held her (she started doing some very rapid breathing and had to be put back in the isolette. Grade earned: C-), but she allowed herself to be entertained by grandmom for several hours (Grade earned: A+). Grandmom talked to her and she was awake the whole time, taking all her stories in. She told her about Little Red Riding Hood. Only in Brenda's version grandmom hits the wolf on the head with a shovel and chases him away. Uh-huh. I hope Grandmom didn't tell her any secrets, because once she starts talking she may give them away at inopportune times. You know how kids are.




Well, as they say in journalism, I have buried the lead...because Dr. Khan is talking about removing Amelia from the vent on Monday! The moment we have all been waiting for for two months. I have been told that CPAP also has its challenges, so I will be sure to complain about CPAP as much as the vent. Extubating her on Monday will depend on her following the program and reacting to her weans properly, but I have no doubt she can do it. They will probably turn down her pressure one more time to 22 and they will reduce the volume the vent has been supplementing her own breaths.

I will get her blood gas for the morning at 9:00 and report back.

UPDATE: Her blood gas was not stellar. It is in the 80s, so they are deciding what their course of action will be right now. They are also drawing blood for her thyroid. Now that she is 36 weeks they can get a more accurate picture of whether her thyroid is operating normally.

1 comment:

glenna said...

Bren,
You are certainly in an enviable position. What a beautiful picture--though it looks like Amelia is telling YOU the tale and keeping her eyes on you all the while to make sure you're paying attention. And to your credit, you are. Can't wait for July to get here--it's been sooo long since last I saw her. And so much has changed; much to change yet, with Dr. Khan seeing to that. I think her blood gasses will adjust themselves to the new setting very quickly, so hold on.

Love Glenna/Mom/Grammy

Post a Comment