Amelia got a lot of holding time yesterday. We had been afraid to get her in and out of her isolette too many times because we heard that burned a lot of calories. But our primary nurse convinced me that I could hold her for a couple hours, let her rest a couple hours and then Todd could hold her when he came in the afternoon for his visit. So I held her a couple hours until it was time for me to pump. Then Todd held her for four hours! He was up at the hospital so late last night he ended up getting a Ronald McDonald room to sleep in.
Her blood gas this morning was 65. Under the old rules, this warrants a vent change, but I will know for sure after they make rounds. Todd wanted to stay for rounds this morning, but they are having a surgery in our pod, so that means everybody out. I will have to call to make sure it is OK to visit before I leave the house or I will end up down there with nothing to do but wait around.
She had her Lasix again yesterday and urinated on two outfits and the nurse had to make up her bed twice. She is too big for preemie clothes. Some fit her better than others. The shirts can be made into night gowns and we roll up the sleeves. We have a couple of NICU approved outfits that are for micro preemies and I keep washing those and bringing them back up for her, but if she is going to go through that many outfits in one day, she will have to settle for the NICU issued white tees!
Amelia now has her own closet near her isolette. I have put two gallon ziplock bags in there. One is marked Amelia's clean clothes and the other Amelia's dirty clothes. That way I can grab her dirty stuff on my way out and wash it and bring it back the next day. I am already getting a taste of the extra laundry demands of having a baby. For a girl that used to save all her laundry up for a month and take it to the dorm basement in a rolling suitcase to do her wash (and things haven't changed much til now) this is quite a lifestyle change.
4 comments:
At least laundry is not too strenuous! Her clothes don't weigh too much :) I am glad for the good news- we will keep up the prayers. Love, Bridget
I am so glad you two are getting to hold and enjoy Amelia! And she now has closet space- very important for such a stylish girl!
I remember when we were all praying and cheering so hard for her to pee lol! I'm so glad you're getting to hold her a lot, it's good for you and good for her. And it's got to be hard to put her back down! GO and GROW, little one...
Of course I love the updates on Amelia, but as a former college roommate, I totally laughed out loud about your laundry comment. I have visions of your closet erupting with clothes crying out for the washing machine :) Some how we become mothers and life changes us! I think of you often and wish I could see you and give you a great bit hug! Take care, Cathlynn
Post a Comment