Wednesday, June 17, 2009

23 is Alright With Me

Amelia's vent pressure setting was put to 23 yesterday morning. When we went to go visit her, she seemed to be doing very well with it. Her blood gas this morning was 72 for her CO2.

Her doctor changes every 2 weeks. This week is Dr. Khan who is the director of the NICU. He told me he thinks she will be off the vent in a week and wants to do some aggressive weaning with her. According to him, CO2 in the 70s will be her new parameter. I may be misinterpreting his meaning, but I think this means that he will wean her with a blood gas in the 70s. I have not heard what decisions were made at rounds yet.

He also mentioned that at 38 weeks she will have an MRI on her head to get a clearer picture of what damage may have occurred when she had the brain bleed right after she was born. I think she is 36 weeks currrently.

The nurse told me today she thinks a pressure setting of 18 and a rate of 20 Breaths Per Minute will be what gets her off the vent and on to CPAP. Her current rate is 23 BPM.

We have been holding Amelia almost every day for the last week. Yesterday I read her two Golden Books: Saggy, Baggy Elephant and Sailor Dog. Sailor Dog is a new one we have never read before and it is pretty cute.

They still have not moved her to the open air bed yet because Amelia has not been gaining very much weight and they want to make sure she is gaining steadily before they move her and she burns a bunch of calories she needs to be growing. She did make a pretty good weight gain this 24 hours. She is now 1570 grams which translates to 3 lbs. 7 oz.

Her primary nurse told me she had three stinky diapers right after another. No sooner did she get a fresh diaper then she would dirty it up. I think Amelia is a little trickster. A girl has to do something to amuse herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment