Friday, June 5, 2009

Conversations With An NP

I talked at length with the NP and she said they do plan to wean her on her vent tonight to 28. Her plan is to continue lowering the number one at a time at midnight, every night -- providing that she gets decent blood gases. If she gets really good blood gases, they may lower it by two. She reiterated that low 20s would be where they would be looking to get her before moving to CPAP.

The near future: They are going to talk on Monday about her nutritional needs. They may consider adding 3 more calories to her milk...bringing her up to 27 calories! They tested her cortisol levels last night to make sure that her body was making the right amount now that she is off of the hydrocortizone and she is, so there is no more need for these steroids. She is continuing to get weekly eye exams so that if ROP begins to present, they can be on top of it. At 36 weeks they will test her thyroid levels to make sure she doesn't have hypothroidism. She continues to get allbuterol every 12 hours to open her airways and help her with her breathing.

She is getting very close to the lowest temp setting in her isolette. She is currently at 28.4 degrees celcius. If she can maintain her body temp at 28 degrees she will get moved to an open air crib I call the "big girl" bed. She is wearing a preemie top that our NICU friends Steven and Aydee gave her! It is a little too big right now but she looks adorable with it on. She is snuggled very comfortably on her tummy and is sat'ing fine.

I feel like she has turned a corner and is focusing on her breathing and growing right now -- without any other complications or dramas. She is a cutie pie and I wish she would hurry up and grow so we can bring her home.

Did I mention that my 280 bottles of milk is down to 33 already? There were a lot of bottles, but not much milk in each one. I started freezing them at home because they told me not to bring more in, but with the reserve that low, I began to bring them in again. I hope I can keep up with her. It has been difficult, but I haven't given up yet.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm so happy to hear the great news on Amelia's progress. I hope and pray that the worst is over and that everyday she keeps getting better and better! Keep up the pumping...I NEVER felt like I kept up with Sam. In the end Sam settled for half pumpped, half formula. But even now he has never had a fever, runny nose, diarrhea or the like. Anything you can give her is a gift...don't stress! Hope to hear more good news soon!
Kathy

Edie said...

She is growing and getting stronger every day. It's so wonderful to hear the good news, come on, CPAP! Prayers and love for her every day from here in NC, strength and love to all the family, Kay

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! Marie Grip

Post a Comment