
Me and Amelia day before yesterday. We took a nap together. She seems to do best when I am perfectly still.

Amelia is wearing her sheep shirt. The name of her pod is sheep so it is perfect. Thank you Miss Jackie. I broke the card that goes into our camera, so we had to take this with Todd's camera phone.
It seems just when I think I have things figured out they change things. I was convinced after such a great blood gas yesterday that they would wean her by two on her vent pressure. As I had said before, this particular vent helps support the breaths Amelia was trying to take on her own. Instead of her pressure setting they decided to wean her on the assistance the vent was giving Amelia to make her breaths. This way she will do more of the breathing on her own.
The nutritionist has added 1mLto her feeds every 8 hours. Apparently it is easier to digest additional liquid, than additional calories in less liquid. She weighed 1470 grams last night.
Todd stayed with the baby last night until about 9:30 or 10:00 and he got to give her a bath. He said she did really well and he enjoyed the experience. She didn't like it when he tried to clean under her arm pit and he can see her get mad and start crying. It is heartbreaking to see her cry silently. If she didn't have that tube in her throat she'd tell us what she really thought!
Yesterday Todd changed her diaper for the first time and she had a nice poopy one for him, too. He did a great job. Now that I know he has the skills, he will be utilizing them more often!
UPDATE: I called to get her 8:00 am blood gas, but the nurse (one of her primaries who is back from vacation - yea!) said they didn't wean her yesterday like they were supposed to a midnight, so they did it this morning and they will have a blood gas at 11:00am. I specifically asked the day nurse yesterday if they weaned her vent at rounds (around 1:00pm) or if they were going to wait until midnight to do it. The nurse told me that the doctor adjusted it while she was standing there at rounds. But apparently that did not happen at all. I get so frustrated when things like this happen.
2 comments:
(((((((((Christina&Todd&Amelia)))) Quoting one of my favorite songs again, I see. That has to be frustrating when you're getting different information and don't know what's accurate. But she looks so beautiful! I cried too when you talked about seeing her cry, I'm sorry, that has to hurt. Someday she will know what her Mama and Daddy went through to get her here and keep her here! She's a little fighter and she had to get that from somewhere, right?
So glad to hear Todd has the mad poopy-patrol skilz! Not surprised, though, he just seems like a wonderful daddy. In fact if I look closely at Amelia's little finger, I think I already see him wrapped around there...
Love to the family, Kay
I know how hard it is to want to hear your baby cry. She will be there before you know it! Go Todd!! Glad to hear you're changing diapers.
Post a Comment