Typical Asta, curled up on the back of couch basking in the sun like a kitty cat.
Zibby with his head tilted. He totally understands what we are saying to him.
I wanted to say a few words about our dogs Asta and Zibby. Before there was an Amelia, there was Zibby. And before there was Zibby, there was Asta. I had started my own business that I operated from home. Todd thought getting a dog would be a good idea. The dog would keep me company and bite the ankle off of any intruder that dare come univited into our home.
After the initial puppy stage of the usual soiling of wool rugs, chewing high heels and constant foot nipping, I went from wanting to give the puppy away, to him being my little buddy. Then we moved to Houston and my work load took off and I was not giving Asta the proper attention he needed (all my attention that is) so we adopted a puppy from the shelter. I got my puppy a puppy of his own. Zibby is enthusiastic and affectionate. Zibby and Asta have provided hours of entertainment and unconditional love.
When I was in the hospital and had Amelia I was so overwhelmed thinking about how to structure our lives with a baby in the NICU. I thought the dogs would be too much trouble to deal with and I considered letting others house them for a while. The first night back home after being discharged, I realized how wrong I was. The dogs sensed our sadness and were very affectionate and cudly. It was the best medicine in the world.
That being said, bringing home a baby and dogs who are used to being the center of our universe is going to be a tough transition. I have begun washing and taking Asta and Zibby's bandanas to Amelia's isolette to get her smell on them and bring them home to tie around their necks. I also bring home her outfits she has been wearing and before I wash them, I let the dogs sniff them a long time.
If anyone else has suggestions on how to transition a baby into a home with dogs, please let me know. Zibby especially thinks babies are puppies for him to play with and so he is going to need a lot of help realizing that Amelia is not a toy!
1 comment:
We did the same thing with letting our dog Relo smell Sam's clothes from the NICU. Someone else also told us that if you have a very territorial dog (let's say, Asta thinks you are his and doesn't pay as much attention to your husband), than you should let your husband carry the baby in while YOU go straight to playing with the dog. That way it't not a total insult that you are loving on something else. Also, if they get too rowdy, put them on leashes (even in the house) and every time they try to jump or get too close or bark or anything you don't want, yank on the leash and force them to 'heel' and stay right by your side (showing them that you are still alpha dog and they have to follow your lead). Luckily our dog didn't have any problem with the baby like I thought he would, and he loves to lick him and watch him but never gets too close or weird around him. Hopefully this will be your experience!!
Kathy
Post a Comment