Saturday, June 20, 2009

Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead




Her cheeks are red from having tape on her since she was born. It will go away. I am looking forward to her skin getting a rest when she goes on CPAP.

Dr. Khan is not going to let a bad blood gas get in the way of getting Amelia off of the vent. He gave her allbuterol to open her airways and caffeine to trigger her breathing mechanism and gave her another blood gas. She got down to 72 on her CO2. We are still on track for extubation on Monday. I don't think he tweaked anything yesterday. He says ideally he would like to get her CO2 down in the 50s or 60s for extubation...anything higher than that has a high chance of failure and she might end up back on the vent.

Amelia is also receiving a drug for something they are referring to as a lazy thyroid. Her brain is making the thyroid hormone, but her thyroid isn't making enough. If this continues on unchecked it will make her lose IQ points. They have been monitoring it closely, so she is not in danger of this. It is just taking extra time for her thyroid to kick in. She may be on the drug for a couple months. Because our bodies create the thyroid hormone. it is something that does not have side effects. It is perfectly safe for her to be on it for extended periods of time. Adults with hypothroidism take the drug for the rest of their lives and are fine.

Amelia weighed 3 lbs. 10 oz. last night at her weigh in. She is now nearly 3 times her birth weight. I guess three extra calories per meal is really working. Her feeds are up to 30mL, up by one.

She really looks like a little person now...which reminds me...they had to retape her breathing tube yesterday so they let me and Todd see her without any tape on her face. I have pictures and will upload them to this entry some time today.

12 comments:

Jolie and Robert said...

Happy First Father's Day Todd, and Happy Birthday Tomorrow Christina! We are thinking about you 5 and are so glad that you have so much to celebrate tomorrow on pre-Monday! Kiss Baby Amelia for us, she's definitely a keeper. i think she already looks like mommy. :) Love you!

glenna said...

Good news keeps getting better. Won't be long before she reaches the four pound mark, and that will be a time for real celebration.

Now that Miss Amelia is 36 weeks Dr. Khan is going to push her as never before. He may need to up her feeds again to account for the extra calories needed to accommodate the growth spurt I envision. I know her lungs may still be lagging behind in development, but she WILL get there in time.

Can't wait to see the face of the angel we have all been praying for. This Grammy, for one, is waiting to download her picture so we can put it with the grandchildren/cousins collection.

Love to you, Mom/Grammy

Erica said...

Awww, so cute! I love the little wrinkley arm. Looks like she got a good stretching! I am so thrilled to hear about the progress. I'm hoping and praying that she will come home in the next month because I plan to come see her before the summer is over. I want to extend my Happy Father's Day and Happy Birthday wishes as well. Stay well and stay cool. We love you all! Erica

Kathy said...

What a sweet face!! Can't wait for no more tubes!! Happy First Father's Day!
~Kathy Wimberly

Anonymous said...

Those little rosy cheeks show the number of times the angels have kissed her!!
Vickie Cross

catvault said...

She DOES look like Christina! Happy Fathers Day Todd!! Doesnt she just make you melt:)

Edie said...

Wow Xina, she DOES look like you! Happy Birthday honey, and what a little present! And those smart little eyes, just watching everything! Happy first Father's Day Todd, love to all of you! Kay/Edie

Xinathebigsister said...

I have found some baby pictures of myself and it is true, I think she looks like me as a baby. As soon as I charge up my camera battery, I will put up my baby pics so you can do a comparison. It's pretty shocking. I don't think she got any of Todd's DNA :(

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!!! And how far she's come. Happy first Father's Day, Todd, and Happy Birthday, Christina. Sounds as if there is cause for celebration. Marie Grip

glenna said...

Dear Christina,
As I write this it is actually Sunday morning, June 21st, your 35th Birthday. It's hard to believe my eldest daughter is celebrating such an event when I, myself don't think I am much older than that.

When I look back through the years I am still taken by feelings at having given birth to the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. I had never really ever given thought to what a newborn looked like, but I evidently was not prepared to see a 9lb,12oz olive skinned baby with what appeared to be a thick crop of black hair. You set the standard for all that was to come, still.

Though you suffered greatly at the lack of my parenting skills, you managed to turn into an intelligent, witty, generous, loving and faith filled woman, anyway. I couldn't be more proud of the person you have become, more recently a mommy yourself. Celebrate happily; we wish we could be with you, Love MOM

glenna said...

Dear Todd, Happy FATHER'S Day

It has taken you a long time to get to this day, Todd, but blessed you will be for the rest of your life because of Amelia. Be prepared to loose your identity and evermore be known (in certain circles) as Amelia's dad. Celebrate big--both you and Christina with her in NICU. Next year, this time you will be bouncing her on your knee and trying you're best to keep her distracted and out of things. Love Mom/Grammy

Unknown said...

Todd and Christina,

We're thinking of you both this morning and wishing you a special, happy day!

The Gaylers

Post a Comment