Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday in the Pod

Saturday in the pod, I think it's the 23rd of May,
Saturday in the pod, Xina's sis is marryin' today,
People laughing, Daddy singin'
A nurse changing my diaper,
And measuring it's weight.
I'm trying to sleep so be quiet
Can you dig it, (Yes I can)
And I've been waiting such a long time,
To get off ventilation.

Saturday in the pod, you'd think it was the third of July
Saturday in the pod, waiting for my lungs to comply,
Doctor talking, almost smiling
I've a new ventilator
Helping me breathe along
He thinks that I am a little stuck,
Can you dig it (yes I can)
And he wants to make me better
And he think this is the way

Slow motion healing, it seems the MO of the day
I hope to, eat soon, I'm gettin' more milk as I lay,
Listen fam'ly I'm feeling better
Feeling better (oh yeah)

Funny days in the pod, every day's a tiny drama,
Funny days in the pod, I like it when I'm with my mama,
Mommy singing, Daddy reading,
I'm feeling better daily,
Waiting to go home...
I really want to - really want to
Can you dig it (yes I can)
And I've been waiting such a long time
For that very day.

Xina is tired of my Weird Als, but oh well. Any Chicago fan (the band, not the city or the musical) will get it.

Amelia is doing fine today.. basically the same as yesterday and the day before and the day before. She has little ups and down, but is basically the same. (As you can tell from the lyrics above). Dr seems to think the new ventilation (which is on the previous machine) might get Amelia to the next level.. in his words "I'm getting a little impatient."
They are still trying to keep her fluid intake down - she's maintaining the balance herself, (she weighs the same today as she did yesterday) but still has a tad bit edema left, and needs to start taking more food in order to grow. So, they are cutting off her TPN (nutrients) altogether today and upping her feedings to 19ccs a time... at her weight, she could get 25ccs or so, but not on her current low fluid "diet".

They are also going to try another diarhetic other than lasix (and if I could remember and spell the 20 letter name, I'd tell you what it will be.) She's satting well, though her gases haven't been great, and she triggers the ventilator on her own sometimes, which is good.

The last few days, she has been moving around a lot more, a sign that she's feeling better. When I got here this morning, she got fidgety and de-sat pretty low... but once I got my hands in there and made sure she couldn't move around, she came right back up, and remained satting high. Now she's tucked in pretty good... I'm writing this now so that when she turns 13 I'll remember that she needs finite boundaries, or she'll run amock...

Amelia wanted to send her love to Aunt Sarah Amelia, whose birthday she just missed, and hopes that her wedding day is wonderful.

(FYI - "...you'd think it was the third of July" = on the eve or verge of something good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment