Amelia is sleeping with her body pillow. It is shaped like a human hand. The hand part is tucked around her bottom. It is called a Zaky. She likes it a lot. Sometimes they put it against her back and have the hand part on her head.
Amelia has had an up and down day today. Her urine output has been steady and she has lost 50 grams from yesterday's weigh in. She was desat'ing quite a bit so they did an x-ray to check her tube placement and found that it was high, so they moved it. Or thought they did. She had a second x-ray and the tube looked like it was in the same place, so they tried again and she got a third x-ray. Then she got a blood gas and it was super bad. I was kind of freaked, but her bedside nurse and the NP told me it was because she had been messed with her so much. They waited an hour and half and the second blood gas was in a normal range. They did put her on a higher pressure setting. She is now at 34. She is being given 60% oxygen. She has kind of been up and down with her saturations all day. Sometimes just bending her breathing tube helps and makes all the difference in the world. She is a bit squirmy today and this can affect her amount of oxygen in her blood too.
Her potassium is still low so they are having to give her a third boost of it. The weaned her dopamine a bit, but have added hydrocortizone. They both help with urination. They did this so that they could resume feedings at full strength for her. If they kept upping the dopamine they wouldn't be able to feed her and she would have to go on 100% TPN. Since nutrition and growing is paramount at this stage, they really did not want to do that.
Her sodium is in acceptable range now. Once she urinates off the extra fluid they will up her breast milk intake. My milk production has increased since I started the super pumping schedule, but still not enough to keep up with Amelia once she gets back on full feeds. I am hoping something kicks in soon.
They are now putting her on caffeine. This helps boost her ability to breathe on her own. As many lattes and sodas as I drink, I figured she would be getting it through her milk, but I guess it isn't enough.
Overall, the doctor says she is making slow progress, but progress none the less.
4 comments:
Progress, slow or not, we will take!!! Marie Grip
Slow and steady wins the race........Love Grammy
PS--Sending out a prayer for Jolie as well--hoping your foot heals quickly.
Yep we'll take the progress. That pillow is neat, I bet that feels good to her. Love to all ((((())))))
Baby steps, baby steps, as long as she moves forwards, that's what matters. Love the pillow and I'm glad she loves it too, I probably would like one for me since she seems to like it so much. Do they have adult size ones?(giggles).
Post a Comment