Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

First of all...Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas out there. I want to say thank you to my own mother for giving me life and raising me right. Until you are a mother yourself you don't understand how much love and sacrifice you go through for your children. My mother has been very supportive and comforting to me since the day Amelia was born. We talk on the phone and she gives me lots of encouragement and strength. No mother wants to see their child suffer. I don't want to see Amelia in physical pain and my mother doesn't want to see me in emotional pain. I know she would love to move to Katy until we bring Amelia home, but I know she has many responsibilities to her other children at home. They appreciate what you do for them, too. I love you, mom.

I also want to wish my Mother in Law a Happy Mother's Day. She has been to the hospital to see the baby, taken us out to dinner and also offered kind words to help buoy our spirits. And she is cooking us dinner at her house tonight. I haven't had a home cooked meal in so long -- and I am looking forward to it!

Uncle Kevin is in town! This is the first time he has seen the baby. He asked if we had gotten used to how small she is. I think she looks like a giant compared to where she started. But that is just in the isolette. They let me hold her last night and out of that plastic box she seems so very small and fragile.

Amelia gave me a good scare last night. She extubated herself again. It happened around the time there was shift change and the nurse from the day shift did not make me leave and let me continue to hold her. We hadn't had any problems for 2.5 hours so they weren't paying particularly close attention to us, most were focused on a baby that had just been brought in -- they were still assessing her.

While holding the baby I heard some funny noises coming out of her mouth. I thought maybe she needed to have some secretions sucked out, but then she started desat-ing (I haven't figured out how to spell this word yet) and started getting in the 50s and plummeting down, down, down -- fast and furious. I yelled for a nurse and they took her away from me and stuck her back in her isolette, started bagging her and next thing I know there are about 5 people working on her. They had to have one nurse around just to calm me down. She is fine now.

In fact, about half an hour before the incident they turned the pressure on her vent down to 33. She had a blood gas and it was pretty good so they left her at that setting. She was sat-ing very well -- in the high 80s and mid 90s. They put her back on dopamine because she was not urinating again. We think maybe it is a side effect of the antibiotic that she is on. She had a diaper that was over 60cc....they are ecstatic when it is 10. I guess the diaper leaked out and they had to change her linens in her bed, too.

The antibiotic will be stopped on Monday. They have been drawing blood and testing it to see if any more cultures grew bacteria and they have not, so the doctor thinks the infection is gone.

We are going to go to the hospital around noon today to see Amelia. Hopefully I will get to hold her for a good long while. That's the best Mother's Day gift I could ask for.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

You guys have been through more with your child in one month than most people go through in years. I can't help but think you will be in some way 'better' parents for it...and you will certainly never take one day of her life for granted. You are already amazing parents, and xtina deserves a ton of credit on her first mothers day!! Congrats! Kathy

Anonymous said...

Happy first Mother's Day, Christina! It sure sounds as if Amelia is a feisty little thing! Wonderful news about the infection apparently being under control.

Enjoy holding her this afternoon. Marie Grip

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day Christina! I hope you're holding Amelia right now.

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day from the Gaylers! So glad Amelia is showing much improvement!

Just think, next year you'll be enjoying breakfast in bed and trying not to intervene while Todd tries to keep Ameila from pulling Asta's tail and eating Zibby's dog food.

You guys have proven you can handle whatever she throws your way with grace and humor!

glenna said...

My dear Christina,

No better tribute have I even been given than yours. I believe mothers are an enigma that the Lord gave man to nurture the newly created into serviceable human beings.


You never know the depths to which your soul will be tested until you have a child of your own; let alone one born much too early that needs so much critical care in their daily struggle to survive. Everything you have done since you found you were having a child has been for her, and now will continue to be, until the day you pass from this earth.

I know you will be a good mother, you have been through far more with Amelia in these last 38days than I have been in all of my 35 years of child rearing. Nothing could have prepared you for all of this like reality. You are ready, and able, both you and Todd. Stay strong, stay focused, stay committed and we all look forward to the day when you bring that little bundle through your front door. I love you. MOM

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day Christina! I hope you get to hold Amelia. Enjoy your home-cooked meal, too! I wish I could send one over- you just need your mom! I am so lucky because she always feeds me when I am in need. Thanks Mama Glenna. Happy Mother's day to you, too. Love, B

Erica said...

Happy First Mother's Day! I'm so happy to be able to finally say that to you! I do hope you enjoy this day and get all that you wish for. I agree with your mom 100% - you will be a good mother, a great mother. You have a wonderful set of values and morals to pass on. And you have learned first handed what you can and cannot get away with! I wonder if she will have your talent for rolling your eyes? At any rate - she is and will be perfect and we already love her! We love you too!

Anonymous said...

Christina,

Happy Mother's Day! I have thought about you a lot over the past month and even more today. The struggles that I have been through with my three boys are nothing compared to yours. Thank you for sharing your story and helping to put other's lives (including mine) into perspective. It is so easy to get caught up in the cares of this world, and to overlook the things that are really important like faith, family, and loving and caring for one another.

Joe, the boys and I hope that you know that we are here for you and your family in whatever capacity you may need. All you have to do is ask. We hope to see you soon.

Karen

Post a Comment