Thursday, May 28, 2009

Advancing Amelia


Doesn't this look just like Amelia and me? I was given this cute gift by Mrs. Grant. They are sitting on the shelf above her isolette along with her other animals, blankets and books.

One day I am going to run out of appropriate adjectives that begin with the letter "A", but not yet, so I may roll with this theme a little while longer.

Todd called this nurse this morning for an update. She is doing good. She had another fabulous blood gas so they will be adjusting her on something, but we are not sure what that might be yet. Her BPM is down to 27 and that is really low. She is being given oxygen in the 30% range and she is sat'ting well with that. Really the only thing to change now is her vent pressure, which she hasn't handled well in the past. Right now she is at 35 which is a pretty high setting. I am guessing they might try to go down one on the pressure, but I will post later with something better than guesses.

Yesterday she had a visit from an opthomologist. Premature babies are susceptable to something called ROP. In severe cases it can cause blindness. The extended use of supplemental oxygen causes this to occur. Babies of Amelia's gestational age and weight are at risk. I consulted my Preemie book and it says that 80% of babies with her age and weight will develop it. However, the good news is that in 90% of all cases, it resolves itself.

They will test her eyes once a week until she is 41 weeks gestational age. The danger of developing it after that is infinitisemal. So far they do not see any signs of ROP in Amelia. If she does get it, there is a high chance it will correct on its own. If it doesn't correct on its own there are procedures to correct it and her sight will be good. She may need glasses, but if that is her biggest problem, we can face that. Let's just say ROP is one of those things that I am choosing to not think about because it may never be something I need to stress over. I have plenty of other things that are a reality now that I am focusing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment