Amelia's oxygen saturation levels kept going down, down down while we were here. She had to be turned up really high on her ventilator. I suggested to the nurse maybe restricting her hands and feet to see if the swaddling would help her (it has in the past) and she totally ignored me. Then the head nurse came around and I told her that her saturation levels were not stable and I asked if we could put her on her belly. She did what I suggested and Amelia did a 180 and has been stable ever since; her oxygen levels have been turned down from 86% to 60%. This is why we need to get a primary nurse...someone who knows her quirks and knows what is best for her -- and someone who at least pretends to listen to what I have to say!
ADDENDUM - TAB here... I know Xina was a little upset with the nurse today, but don't get in an uproar over it yet... Amelia had a pretty bad day all around, today, and the same nurse had her yesterday while I was here and I liked her. They did go up on her settings to give her more pressure into the lungs and another does of lasix, which are the main reasons her gases and de-sats were down this evening. But she does love it on her
Once both our primary daytime nurses get back on a regular schedule this week, Xina and I won't stress over the nursing changes as much.
4 comments:
If you don't like the way a nurse treats you, you go straight to the head nurse. Don't put up with that stuff. You can also ask to NOT have that nurse ever again, and I suggest you do it. You are part of your baby's health care team and you have every right to be listened to! Besides, that nurse may know a TON but she hasn't been there everyday like you have...she hasn't experienced YOUR daughters ups and downs like you have!
On another note, the photo of Daddy and daughter is so so sweet.... tear...
~Kathy Wimberly
Dear Tod and Christina,
How frustrating to have a team member that should be on board with you, ignore your requests. I am with Kathy on this, ask to have her replaced. No matter what happens, you will always wonder whether she is doing the right thing at the right time. You don't need that kind of worry along with all that you are experiencing.
Remember, this is your child, and although you do not have the extensive expertise needed to make life altering decisions, I do give a great deal of credence to parental instincts. Go with what you know about Amelia. Question when necessary. Accept that nearly everyone involved in the NICU knows their NICU charges well, and can't wait for them to leave their POD for Level II.
Hope tomorrow's surgery goes well. We will keep steady vigil for Miss Amelia--through the surgery and post op. Stay strong, Love MOM (Grammy)
You two are amazing. I have just returned to Seattle and read your blog from the beginning. What an incredible journey for you all. And what a gift to those who love you that you share your journey in this way. I pray for the day you can look back at everything you've written so far and smile at the distant memory of the fear and concern that I'm sure define your every moment right now.
The pictures of sweet baby Amelia are so wonderful, and you guys are generous to share them with us all. I am so happy to read of her progress and know that she will continue to fight so that she can go home with her mommy and daddy for good. What a fantastic day that will be! I can only imagine your joy, holding her for the first time. Each moment, each breath, each bedtime story (and even off key song :)) must feel precious.
Mark and I will be thinking of you all tomorrow and praying for a successful surgery and an easy recovery. We will pray for her doctors as well.
I look forward to coming back to this blog every day to keep up with Amelia's continued growth and to share in your experience. I'm sure your world has gotten very small these last few weeks, so again, and very selfishly, I thank you for taking the time and finding a way to keep us all informed. Especially for those of us who are far away, it gives us an opportunity to let you know we love you and are with you in our hearts.
Tomorrow is a big day. Be strong, Little One.
Love to you all,
'Chelle
HI guys, it's 0145 your time Tuesday morning and I'm at work, spending time hoping and praying for the best always for you and the little one. OMG that pic of Todd holding her is adorable! I will still be awake when she has her surgery this morning and she will be in my thoughts and prayers, and in the days to come as she recovers. She is so tiny but so strong, and so loved. You guys please try to get some rest, I know you need it. Much love to you and all your family ((((((((Xina,Todd,&Amelia))))))., Edie/Kay
Post a Comment