Friday, April 10, 2009

Goodnight Sweetheart


Here she is resting on her cutom made preemie baby quilt. Thanks for the beautiful gift, Mel!

We got here so late tonight. I am bedside blogging right now.

I got a preemie baby quilt from Mel and I was going to just drape it on the top of incubator, but they needed to change her linens and the nurse asked me if I wanted to put it in the incubator with her. So now she is lying on top of her new homemade baby quilt. Thanks Mel!

The nurse let me change her diaper tonight. I have never been so excited to change a diaper. Her tushy is so very small! I had to be reminded to wipe from front to back. The wet wipe is about as big as she is.

No more bilirubin blue light. It is very dark in there now. The nurses have an Easter themed blanket draping the top of the incubator. Now is dark and cozy like a real womb. She looks very relaxed and comfortable.

Previously Amelia was receiving nutrients, vitamins, etc. through an umbilical catheter. Tonight they are putting in a PICC line. It will serve the same purpose, but will go through a vein in her arm. They don't want us around when they do it. I don't think I want to be around anyway. I watch them stick her the other day in the foot for a blood sample and it was hard to watch. This will be even harder.

Her CO2 levels are down. This is the main focus right now. Once these get under control, she can go back to the regular ventilator and then we can hold her for the first time! I am afraid once I get my hands on her, I am never going to want to go.

We have brought some books to read to her. Todd found one in the lounge area last night -- I thought it was a little advanced for her age! We brought some golden books I had either had as a kid or bought to add to my collection. I have selected Pokey Little Puppy as tonight's story.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey xina & todd, thanks so much for keeping this blog so current. I look forward to checking it daily. It always makes me go hug my kids more and just pray for you and Amelia. You were all I could think about at Church tonight. I wish I was there to hug you! Love, Bridget

Kathy said...

Hey, I'm a friend of Catherine's and I have been reading your blog. I have been thinking about you and praying for you guys. Our son was born with a rare heart condition and we have now had our share of time in ICUs. I know for me it was hard to not have that 'normal' first baby experience, and I'm sure you guys are feeling that too. Keep the faith...your little girl has a lot of people thinking about her and praying for her! You two take care of yourselves, too. I look forward to hearing about your first 'kangaroo' experience!
Kathy Wimberly
www.lilwim.blogspot.com

Xinathebigsister said...

Hey Kathy,

I remember you. Catherine has talked about you and the baby a little bit to me. We have been fortunate to have a great NICU staff that let's us be as interactive with her as we can and puts up with all of our endless questions. Thank you for your concern and prayers. All of the support from so many people has really bouyed us through these difficult times. I will pray for your little boy. Christina

Mel Birdwell said...

Aww, she's so beautful and she's rockin' the quilt. I'm all misty-eyed. Thanks for sharing.
Mel

Post a Comment