Yesterday, Amelia did great on all her vitals, and they continued weening her as best they could. She was doing so well, in fact, that about noon today they tried taking her off the oscillator and putting her back on the standard ventilator. Alas, her next 2 gas tests were a little worse, so they ended up putting her back on the oscillator. It looks like there still some fluid in her lungs that's causing her not to get all the bad stuff out. But that should be taken care of by the dopamine they have given her in order to promote her urination. All that said, her O2 need level on the oscillator is down, and they will still ween her down when they can. It seems like a set back, but it's really just a sign that she's on the cusp of getting off this machine.
She's eating well, and up to 1lb 10ozs today, so that, also, is good news.
About the only anxiety we are feeling today is left over from the news of the hemorrage in the brain. They will do another ultrasound on Monday and see the progression or regression of the area and determine if it's clearing up, leaving it's mark, or another one appears. You all know I am not a patient man, and I just wish the next three months were already behind us so the lingering doubts and fears were behind us and we knew what we will be dealing with moving forward. For me, that's perhaps the second hardest thing to cope with... the hardest, of course, is seeing her in this position in the first place and being powerless to do anything about it.
Xina and I have now started a steady stream of stories and songs; so if she doesn't turn out to be a softball goddess, then perhaps she'll be artsy - or sing off key... last night's story was "The Country Mouse and the City Mouse", read to her by her mother, Xina... and we've a set of songs on the iPod we sing to her... I hope she doesn't mind the off key tunes or my bad falsetto... luckily, she's too young to walk out of the theatre on us.
She is sleeping peacefully again, now, so we may let her stay that way for now... tonight we have multiple guests coming in... Xina's sister's family is only minutes away, and my folks are bring Nit Noi, so it'll be active this evening for everyone.
It was almost a great day - but I'll take a good one, anyway. Progress is a good thing.
4 comments:
Xina and Todd- I feel like I wish I could hold you two in my hand- you must need so much to be comforted. I am praying for you to find some peace in the middle of this crisis, and for you to stay strong. As far as the depression goes, I wish I could help- just let yourself feel what you need to feel. Sitting at a hospital is so exhausting, even though you are just sitting. I wish I could come sit with you- I will one day.
Love, Bridget
Todd, you are such a wonderful Father -- the one i always knew you would be. Now, you keep that chin up, think forward to the day Amelia will be running and laughing with with the doggies, chasing down your errant grounders! Love you guys and we love baby girl!
C'mon, Todd. You and Christina are two of the best Karaoke singers around! She's lucky to have you two serenading her each night.
My dear Christina and Todd,
Our hearts feel the pain you are enduring. Amelia has proven herself to be a hearty little soul, knowing somehow that there are multitudes of well-wishers and prayer list that she has been added to. So keep your wits about you, continue your vigilance on her part, and give yourselves a break. God is watching over her even when you aren't. Love you, MOM (Grammy)
Post a Comment