Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

We are at the hospital now. When I came in I noticed that the baby's leg looked dark purple, nearly black, as did her foot. The foot was also very puffy. They said it was from getting blood from the foot and squeezing on it to get the blood out. It looks pretty horrible and it upset me a lot. She also has edema and looks swollen and puffy everywhere. This too was pretty upsetting to me. The nurse assures me this is normal and that she has good circulation to her extremeties.

Oh yes, now the bilirubin light is drying out her skin and she has a big scaly patch on top of her brusied leg. I want to rub lotion on it, but I am sure if that could be done someone would have done it by now. I thought the humidity in there would keep that sort of thing at bay, but it hasn't.

One of the nurses keeps handing me kleenex and is really nice. She handed me a stack of cloth diapers and told me to go home and wash them in free and clear detergent and then sleep with them and get my scent on them. Then I can seal it in a ziplock and bring it back to the hospital and they will put it in Amelia's isolette. I have learned that isolette is the proper word and not incubator, so I will start using isolette from now on.

She remains stable, but is still on the oscillating respirator.

9:57 PM: Oh and how could I forget...Amelia was put on a second round of medication for her PDA...and now it is no longer an issue! The echocardiogram revealed that it has closed and so now that is one problem that has been resolved and we can put past us.

10:34 PM: I keep forgetting things. Her ultrasound of her kidneys shows that blood flow is normal. The blood tests still have not come back and may not for a few days...so, so far they have not isolated the reason why her urine output was reduced. They told us that with the dopamine her urine output was good. They may try taking her off the dopamine to see if there was just some unexplained reason why she was not urinating...or if the problem comes back they need to keep looking for the cause.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are constantly on my mind. I'm so gald to hear that the PDA is no longer an issue. We are praying for Amelia and you both. I wish that I could think of something else to do for you. We are not that far away! Love, Marie

Jolie and Robert said...

Happy Easter you guys. I feel as if I have known Amelia my whole life. love you and wishing we were there.

Erica said...

We missed you at Easter, but you were all in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that the PDA is gone! What a milestone! Tiny Tushie! Ha! It will grow; it's in her DNA.

I love this website! Thank you for your work in keeping us all informed. The pictures are awesome. We love you.

Post a Comment