Monday, April 20, 2009

Just another manic Monday


Tummy Time

I'm happy to report that during the night, the change of tactics helped, and they have been further enhanced by today's processes. Amelia is now stable, has had three good blood gas tests in a row, is urinating more consistenly, and is resting peacefully. She was given another dose of Lasix to help dry her out, and she's on the dopamine.

It seems the main thing that's been beneficial started with going down on her settings with the oscillator last night, trying to keep the pressure less on her lungs. This morning, Amelia started fighting the oscillator and take her own breaths, which actually make things worse for her. So they moved her to the conventional ventilator around 9:30am. When they tried on Saturday, she couldn't take it. Today, she's doing beautifully thus far, and has improved dramatically today. The nurse is also suctioning her throat out more often than normal, as the gunk gathers there in thick batches, and when she does, her need for enhanced O2 drops dramatically.

In essence, this seems to be as comfortable and stable as she has been since she was born... a complete 180 degree turnaround from 18hrs ago.
That's not to say things can't turn again, but she's doing well.

She also decided to play a gag on the nurse, and just after a gas test, she pulled her breathing tube out. It was a good thing i wasn't here at the time (eating with Gdad in the cafe) but the nurses got on it and re-intubated her quickly. Then, after the X-ray to make sure the tube was in place, she received an ultrasound to look at the head trauma from the bleed... She did wonderfully during it all, and was pretty calm as we cooed and aahed to her, and now she's fully recovered from those minors dramas.

Xina and I stayed through the night. After Amelia stabilized, Xina went home for more naps and to give the dogs some overdue attention. (Xina can do it all, can't she?) We'll have more visitors tonight - two of Xina's aunts and a cousin - and the weather outside seems to mirror the inside of the isolette - sunny and warm with only the slight memories of a bad storm and a few little clouds in the sky.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Hello,
My name is Melanie Murdock Kriner and I found your blog through the Wimberly's blog. I graduated from the same high school they did. I know you may think I am nuts but I wanted you to know that almost 3 years ago I gave birth at 30 weeks to a 2lb 3oz little girl named Kaitlyn Marie. I had preeclampsia that was a very sudden onset. Today Kaitlyn is a very talkative, rambunctious and funny almost 2 1/2 year old. Kaitlyn was in the NICU at the University of South Alabama Childrens and Womens Hospital in our hometown of Mobile, AL for 53 days. I know better than anyone the roller coaster, these days will be the darkest and sometimes the brightest. But soon little Amelia will start having many more bright days and you will not believe how fast she will progress and be at home! Please take a look at my blog and see what you have to look forward to. If you ever need to talk or need advice email me at melkrin@bellsouth.net. I know when Kait was in the hospital I wanted to talk to someone who had been in my shoes! I hope you don't think I am crazy!
Sincerely,
Melanie Kriner

Kathy said...

God is Good! I read your post from last night and almost cried. We, too, sat in a waiting room as doctors tried to stabilize our son, unsure if he would make it through the night. It is the most horrible, surreal, helpless feeling in the world. But it sounds like Amelia is a fighter and she proved that today! Keep your heads up, your faith strong, and know that lots of people are praying. Prayer makes all the difference! I can't wait to see the photos of you guys holding her for the first time!

Kathy Wimberly

Edie said...

((((((((Todd)))))) honey, Xina's not doing it all by herself, and thank God she and Amelia have you. God bless all of you, your love for each other and your daughter just shines through. Amelia is going to make it; she will have tough times but she's a little fighter, and with parents like you two, I see where she gets it from! Much love to the three of you,
Kay

Unknown said...

Thank you for doing this blog! It keeps those of us who wish we could be closer to you in the loop. We are thinking of you & praying for you constantly. We miss you & can't wait to meet that precious angel!! Love, Jessica

Post a Comment