Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kangaroo Kare surprise.


Close up of sweet Amelia's face.


Our first family portrait.


Nestling in with mama.


No, it's not a new Australian dessert Xina tried out on me... it was a surprise present for the Banker girls!... I will get to that in a minute after I update you on Amelia's status.

It was nearly information overload today... but here's the gist. Amelia was stable throughout the day, though her gas tests were not as good today as yesterday. She has a lot of fluid and they are hindering her progress.

To combat all of it they 1) upped her settings on the ventillator 2) gave her another blood transfusion 3) gave her Lasix to dry the fluid in her lungs 4) continued the Dopamine 5) started her on anti-biotics in case she has an infection 6) drew blood to test for infection 7) took another X-ray to check on the PDA

The guess right now is the a) PDA is pouring fluid into her lungs and she can't keep up with it or b) she has an infection c) both a and b... the likelihood is C.

The next steps are 1) to continue with anti-biotics 2) close the PDA as soon as safely possible by surgery. The surgery cannot be done if she has an infection, so the results of that test will determine the next step.

She weighs about 1lb 14ozs and has grown about 3/4" to 12 1/2". (900 grams and 32.5cm)

Also, we got the results of the ultrasound of her head bleed... and they were good... there's no new spread. So the body will take care of the blood as it would any bruise; it just might take a while. Any permanent damage will be unknown and not identified until the MRI is done when she's ready to leave. But it's good news.

We had lots of visitors again, tonight - and multiple dinners. The first was Xina's BFF and her daughter, who brought cheer to our tired souls and Greek food. Both were most welcome. And then we had two lovely friends of mine from the office, who, despite my constant badgering, apparently like my wife. They surprised us and brought us more food. After some chat, all but Xina went to visit Amelia, who was being her cute self. Xina babysat BFF's daughter. After a while, I stepped out to trade places with Xina, and stopped to talk to another couple who have been living at the hospital for weeks now, watching over their own preemie (who was born at 22+ weeks and is having very similar issues as Amelia). Anyway, while I was talking, the nurses decided tonight was a good time to let Xina kangaroo/hold Amelia for the first time! They promptly asked BFF is she would like to do it!

After BFF agreed to do it, but then admitted she wasn't actually Amelia's mom, the three ladies found me talking and told me the news. We then went in search of Xina with the news, who was in the playroom on the seesaw. The news shocked her, of course, as just earlier in the day, the doctor had said if we continue on the current pace, we might be able to kangaroo in another day or two.

So, after a few joyful good-byes, we hustled back to the pod, where Xina was given directives on how to get ready. It was only moderately complicated for the nurses to get Amelia out of the isolette and comfortably on Xina's breast. I have pictures, and as soon as Xina teaches me how or she does it herself, we can share their first hug with you. It's now past 11:50pm, and they've been together since 9pm... time occupied by reading a story, singing to her, and letting her sleep. I'm not sure I understand how Xina feels, but she's very peaceful and happy. Both are.

Our poor dogs have been alone since 3pm, but at this point, they can pee on the rug... it's worth the effort to clean it up.

Thank you all for your continued support and prayers and best wishes. We've received cards, phones calls, emails, facebook notes... it's overwhelming. Our neighbors' young daughter made a card for Amelia and us yesterday and delivered it to us by hand... it's sweet and heartwarming... I'll try to post that, too, if I can figure out how. I can't tell you how much it means to us.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's such wonderful news! I can't wait to see the pictures of this event.

Edie said...

OMG tears of joy here! I knew there was a reason I'm up all night (other than I work nights)! But I'm home now and can be as mushy and hand-flappy as I want to! OH what a beautiful picture, the most beautiful yet! SO happy for you all, Xina you FINALLY get to hold your baby *Sob*. So much love to you all- K

catvault said...

My dear Todd and Christina,

Better news would be hard to come by at this juncture in her development. We wait, albeit impatiently, for the next bit of news that will give a sign that all will be well. This was that--and more. Tears of joy were never more freely shed. Keep your eyes to the heavens and know who is in control. We love you, Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Xina and Todd, I am so happy you guys finally got your contact time! Touch is a very powerful thing, I'm sure Amelia grew stronger by the minute!

Constantly thinking of you!
Annie

Jolie and Robert said...

WOW, I am so happy for you two and Xina looks about as perfect as a proud mama can be. give all hugs for us.

Kathy said...

YAY I'm so happy for you both! The photos are nothing short of heart warming and the news from the ultrasound is fabulous! Miss Amelia is something special for sure.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

I just can't hold the tears back...I'm so happy to see you hold your sweet baby girl. I just wish I wasn't so far away. Love and prayers...Cathlynn

Unknown said...

We're cheering over here! FINALLY! You guys are a beautiful family and we are so happy for you.

Kym Pratt said...

Through tears I praise God and thank him for letting you guys hold Amelia today. What a special special day!! What a special day!

catvault said...

We are having a mass said for Amelia here in Mobile. Ill let you know of the date, but it will probably be held at the McGill Chapel at 7 30 am (usually for the McT students). -Catherine

Post a Comment