Monday, April 27, 2009

Could Today be the Day?


Todd gets to hold his daughter for the first time.

First things first. Todd got to hold Amelia last night. I am disappointed I did not get to see it. I was not feeling well yesterday afternoon so I did not go to the hospital for my daily visit. I think it just turned out that I forgot to drink anything yesterday and I was dehydrated.

While he was there he was told that Amelia may have her PDA surgery today. The anesthesiologist was supposed to come by and do a consult on her case at 3:00 am to make sure she was strong and stable enough for the surgery. Then they are going to call us and let us know when they have scheduled it.

As I have said before, I am pinning a lot of my hopes on this surgery. She has a lot of fluid in her body and lungs and I am hoping this will clear her up and get her going toward the ultimate goal of getting her off the ventilator. The doctor has warned us things could get worse before they get better. The surgery and recovery will put a lot of stress on her already underdeveloped, stressed body.

Please everyone pray that everything goes smoothly.

Later Todd is going to post his reactions to holding Amelia for the first time and add any information I overlooked since I was not there.

Information overlooked section : wt - 1210grams, 2lbs 8ozs - lgth - 36.50cm, 14inches
progressively better gases throughout the day as they added more pressure to the ventilation. More dopamine and more lasix, and her waste output was higher today than the last 4 days combined.

And my reaction to holding Amelia was a mixture of happiness and contentment.
TAB

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Todd! I keep thinking about you holding Gianna at the wedding - I am glad you got to hold your own baby girl. I have my rosary group this AM, and, as I have been doing lately, I will lift this rosary up for Amelia. Love, Bridget

Anonymous said...

We'll all be thinking about you and praying that Amelia's surgery goes well. We're keeping up with your blog daily, and you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Marie Grip

Anonymous said...

Now you know why even at.. (40+) parents are still hovering at times. What a wonderful moment, you've waited for this....a long time! Prayers for strength and of love are sent to you all. Mom and Dad Banker

Erica said...

Mom has always told me in times of great need to turn to Mother Mary for help too. I will pray many Hail Marys for you and Amelia today - and everyday! I love you all!

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the our of our death. Amen, Amen, Amen.

catvault said...

We are praying that everything goes well! Im glad Todd got to hold her finally!

Anonymous said...

Todd and Christina,
My love and thoughts are with you all! Amelia is beautiful!

'aunt' Cathy

glenna said...

Our dear Todd,
Your face in the picture says it all, Todd. Happiness, contentment, serenity--pure pleasure. (Though I thought Kangaroo Care was supposed to be skin to skin......?) We and all our friends will keep up our vigil of prayers for Amelia to see her through her next hurdle of surgery--may she continue forward progress.
Prayers are also being said for the continued strength of her two dear parents. God has something wonderful in store for all of you. Love MOM (Grammy)

Xinathebigsister said...

Todd is holding her skin to skin. They have you wear a gown that opens to the front. She is lying on his bare chest and the robe is covering her back. She also has blankets on her that have been warmed in a warmer. The blanket on top of that is the one Sister Zoe gave us. We have kept it near her isolette in case she or we get cold in the NICU.

Xinathebigsister said...

Xina, maybe your mother meant that she didn't think my manly, hairy chest was considered skin to skin.
TAB

glenna said...

Bingo, Love MOM

Post a Comment