Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rude Awakening

The nurse called this morning to let me know Amelia's blood gas levels looked bad. She is having problems getting rid of the the CO2 in her blood. They have to put her back on the oscillating ventilator. She is on her second dose on her second round of meds for her PDA. They are going to do an echocardiogram this afternoon to see if there are any improvements. When they listen to her heart they do not hear a murmer (the sound of the blood going from heart to lungs through the PDA) but the nurse explained that sometimes it is easier to hear a murmer through a small opening than a large one. Or it could be closed off entirely. My pessimism says this is not the case. The results of the echocardiogram will not be known until tomorrow at the earliest. Anyway, two steps forward, one step back.

Not being able to drive is not fun. I was debating whether I should just ignore doctors orders and do it anyway, but Aunt P caught wind of this and rushed over to help me out. I feel pretty helpless. She is going to give me a ride to the mall this afternoon so Todd can pick me up from there and we can go down to the hospital to see the baby.

I have a call for some potential work at 10:00. My mind is not in the business game. I hope I sound put together to the client, because I am not.

I am going to put up some pictures of her nursery we are putting together here at home. It isn't totally together yet, but I do have some pieces and you can get an idea. Decorating is my favorite distraction and I need one when I am home and not with the baby.

2 comments:

glenna said...

For all of us that are not in the know, PDA stands for Patent Ductus Arteriosus--to understand what it is that Amelia is experiencing. Type that into google and it will bring it up for all to read and view.

Xinathebigsister said...

Yeah, I have a link that added to a previous post that will give you more information on what the PDA does.

Post a Comment