I am running out of metaphors for nothing has changed and everything is the same. But I better come up with a few more because I don't really see any weaning in sight for Miss Amelia.
We had the same nurse 3 days in a row, which was good because she got to know Amelia and her quirks. She also backed off of us and by Day 3 she was hardly breathing down our necks at all. So she became less annoying over the days we had her. She did keep saying how much she enjoyed taking care of Amelia which sometimes is code for "I want to primary Amelia," which, no way! I can think of three more nurses I would rather have. But maybe it is code for "I want to snatch your baby!" Golly, I am paranoid.
I'll say this for the nurse, she was very aggressive on weaning her. She was down to 56% yesterday when we walked in for our visit. She had to creep up to 60%, but still that is very good considering she was all the way back up to 85% at one point last week. Her respitory rate (BPM) is also starting to come down. They had said at one point they are looking for it to be under 60. A baby that is breathing any faster than that cannot coordinate sucking, swallowing and breathing. That is the ultimate goal. Get her off of CPAP and to be able to feed her from a bottle.
The formula is giving her some awful gas. It is so bad that we are checking her diaper to see if it needs to be changed, but no, just horrible gas. I know this is a reason why she desats a lot is trying to dispel all that stuff. Unfortunately, she is going to be formula fed from now on. Her feeds have gone up to 61 mL. I am making that in about a day and a half. I feel relieved and guilty about my decision to give up pumping. The stress and anxiety over it were counterproductive and the output was not worth the amount of time devoted to it. I feel good knowing that I got Amelia through 4 months, the first 2 which were the most important and when she needed my immunities and the nutrition it provided the most.
Amelia weighed 6 lbs. 14 oz. last night and that was after she had her diuretic for the day and had several very wet diapers! We gave her another bath last night, so she is a clean machine.
2 comments:
wow, she's almost 7lbs. She's getting so big!! I can't wait to meet her.
(((((((Xina)))))) she'll be fine on formula, sometimes it just takes them awhile to get the right one. I know they had a time with my baby brother, they had him on everything but goat's milk before they found the right one lol! No such problems with piggy me, I'd drink mine and his too! (I was adopted and we're only 10 months apart).
OK, Amelia, you kicked the vent to the curb, time to kick the CPAP there to keep it company!
Love to XMily ((((((((((())))))))))))) K/E
Post a Comment