Sunday, October 25, 2009

Future So Bright, She's Gotta Wear Shades.


The Princess of the Pod's Pink throne.


An older picture of me wearing my cute sweater that Miss Gin made!

Amelia does not have cortical blindness. The results of her visual evoked response test are back and her optic nerve responds when her eyes are stimulated with light. She has no damage to that area of her brain.

So we are not sure what this means as far as her eyes go because we are back to square one figuring out what is going on. She still crosses them. Maybe it is as simple as putting a patch on the eye that doesn't cross to strengthen the weaker eye. She is so young and it is so hard to tell what a baby's eyes are doing becaue they are just starting to learn to focus and we can't tell what a baby can see because they have no verbal skills.

I am more than a little annoyed that we have been on this cortical blindess path for over two weeks now. It took a long time to get a consult and it was based on a very wrong diagnosis. I was lead to believe it was fait accompli and the test was just dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t". The opthomologist that made the diagnosis was so sure that she reported it to the State of Texas and told them we needed services including SSI (social security) and ECI (early childhood intervention). Why would she do this without knowing for sure? I need to get over my anger, but I am just so upset over how this whole thing was handled.

Just because she doesn't have cortical blindness or cortical visual impairment does not mean that she won't have some kind of vision problems. She may have to wear glasses. Like I said, we don't know yet. But I am a lot more hopeful that if she has some vision issues, they are things that are correctable to an acceptable level.

In other news, Aunt Joelle came into town this weekend and visited and held Amelia on Saturday. Amelia loved her Aunt Jo Jo time and fell asleep in her arms. She woke up a little bit and visited with her too.

Todd and I had a date night last night and we went bowling. We got a special where we were able to bowl as many games as we wanted for a flat fee in 2 hours. We bowled four games and we were done in an hour and half. We are out of practice and shape! My fingers were hurting and Todd's arm was killing him. I also forget how much I bend my right leg and I almost fell going down the steps at home later that evening because my legs felt like rubber.

We totally stunk up the place! Todd and I have our own ball (he has two -- one for making strikes and the other one for picking up spares) and our own shoes and we were on a league for 5 years....so we are usually pretty hard on ourselves with our bowling performance. But we were having a lot of fun and didn't care that we were so terrible. Having Amelia has put it all in perspective.

Addition : to be fair, I don't think it was actually a diagnosis of CVI, but the opthmal just wanted to test for it, based on her eye tracking pattern. Since no one really talked to the opth, we really aren't sure what she was thinking... we're just glad that it's ruled out. -TAB

Addition: To be fair to me, I know what I was told and I stand by my account of what happened.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a relief, and at the same time, how infuriating that there was such a wrong - and scary - diagnosis made before testing. It seemed really odd, as you have mentioned that Amelia seemed to be tracking, and she sure seems to be looking at the camera in many of her photos. At any rate, good news. Marie Grip

Unknown said...

Great news all around! Is she still doing well on the NC?

Xinathebigsister said...

Yes she is still on nasal cannula.

Anonymous said...

Great news! I saw your mama, sis, niece and nephew today at the CC picnic. It was nice to hear about her trip to see Amelia. I am glad you went on a fun date- you guys need it! Love, Bridget

Jolie and Robert said...

Rick Boyce says hello! We bowled tonight and I cannot enter a bowling alley without thinking of you. That really IS a testament to how much we miss you guys..not how much we associate the Bankers with Bowling don't worry! Amelia is a living doll and i just loved her mardi gras get up. thinking of all of you as we get into the holidays now,,hoping for her homecoming soon.

Post a Comment