Amelia chilling out on her boppy yesterday afternoon.
Yesterday Amelia weighed in at 8 lbs. 10 oz. The nurse practioner came around and told me that they are reducing her calories to 27 from 30 because they want to make sure she isn't gaining too much weight for her height. She is getting very pudgy.
They have been putting off her head MRI for weeks now. They didn't want to do it on the vent, they didn't want to do it on CPAP, then they wanted to do it before she went home, then it was as close to 40 weeks as possible, now they just want to get it done already...except then the MRI people said they didn't want to do it because they don't feel she is breathing well enough (they give them a sedative that makes them stay still but still allows them to breath), but maybe our doctor will make them anyway...so who knows? All of this maybe, maybe not is stressing me out a tad. Todd and I know that whatever damage has happened to her brain has happened (or not happened), but not knowing allows us to be blissfully unaware. Once it is done it makes everything real and we will have to worry and cope with it.
Today we have Patsy for our nurse! Her orientee is in the classroom so she was able to have her. She was at 65% fiO2 when she came in and was able to get her down to 57% already just by suctioning out her nose.
It is the start of a new month so Dr. Khan is off her case and now we have Dr. Nawab. There was some talk of pushing her up to CPAP 6 because the Dr. was concerned that her oxygen requirement is so high. Fortunately, I had just had the conversation with the NNP about inconsistency of Amelia's care and how I felt she was not being weaned aggressively enough (especially at night). Now Amelia's high sat requirement is 92. Anytime she reaches 93 (instead of 96) the nurse is supposed to wean her. The NNP feels like this new program is going to work for her. We shall see.
So I have requested two night time nurses and they have signed up...Lucy whom I have never met, but Todd likes a lot and Bert (short for Roberta) who has had Amelia before, once on the night before her PDA ligation. Bert is an angel. She is very nurturing and caring with the babies. She likes to hold and rock them at night. It makes me feel good that she will be watching over Amelia. Bert also was the primary for a little girl that several nurses have said Amelia reminds them of -- not her outward appearance, but her NICU journey has followed a similar path and duration.
I found in some of my hand me downs a little pumpkin onsie that will fit Amelia for Halloween. The question is whether she will be wearing it in the NICU or at home?
1 comment:
Dear T&C,
Oh, how cute, putting our little punkin' in a punkin' suit. She'll be sooOOOOooo festive--she'll rock that NICU ward and be the envy of all the mommies.
I have been buried in a project and haven't checked on Amelia's Blog for several days, though I talk to you nearly daily. I'm glad you asked for a night time primary, I have hopes that this will give her the boost she needs to get out of the dip she seems to be in. She seems to do so much better when she is held, and suctioned regularly, so we will be waiting to hear how it all goes in a few days.
We are wrapping Amelia in love and prayers. Love MOM/Grammy
Post a Comment