Nasal Canu-la-la-la-la!
Kisses for cutie.
I feel so free!
All right, I'm ready for my close up Mr DeMille!
Amelia made it on to nasal cannula yesterday around noon. I got to the hospital about five minutes after they did it and Todd was there about 30 minutes later. She kept switching her head from side to side like she wasn't quite sure what to make of how light her head felt without her headgear. Or maybe she was looking around to figure out where the tube between her eyes went. They put her on the high flow cannula on 2 LPM. She was at 60% most of the day yesterday and when I called this morning she had been pushed up to 70%. I think they should be able to wean her back down today.
Dr. Khan came by after and told me to take pictures of her without anything on her face so that I'll have them to remember when she has to go back on CPAP. He was joking (I think) and I told him to shut up and smacked in the gut with the back of my hand. Don't mess with me Dr. Khan!
They didn't allow us to bathe her or hold her very much yesterday, because they want her to settle into her new change without a lot of extra stimulation. Her hair really needs a shampoo after being entombed in that stinky head gear. I set out a Notre Dame onsie for her to be dressed in today, since it is game day, but I am not sure if they changed her clothes last night. She gets her lasix today and she tends to overflow her diaper so maybe she will get a new outfit this morning.
OT is going to start bottle feeding in earnest on Monday. I think the goals now are to get her feeding and weaned to a regular nasal cannula. They will put her OG tube through her nose so that her mouth will be free and she can finally learn how to suck and feed properly. Get ready for new challenges related to feeding...in addition to her breathing challenges. Maybe she will surprise us and be a natural at it.
The nurse told me she weighs 9 lbs. 12 oz. (my birth weight!) last night but I find that very hard to believe, since she only weighed 9 lbs. 5 oz. yesterday and she doesn't look that puffy to me. Perhaps a little measurement error occurred somewhere?
6 comments:
Yeah!!!We are so excited! Zelda says she looks so cute, and she does. We will keep praying, prayers of thanksgiving and prayers for continued strength. Love, Bridget
Wow, we can really see how cute she is now! And her hair is getting pretty thick too. I like all of the recent outfits shes been in...they look VEWWWWWY familiar! Yay Amelia!
How wonderful! We'll pray that she's taken a big step forward - with no step back to the CPAP! She is so cute! Marie Grip
Great pictures! Now we can see that cutie better. Stay strong, Ameila!
Dear Christina and Todd,
So many emotions hit me suddenly when I opened my mail. The thought of all those months of praying for this day to arrive for Amelia, for you and for all that are continuing to follow Amelia's Progress. Of all the hopes and fears we have shared throughout all the months of her medical ups and downs. We knew all along one day, this day would finally come, though at times we feared it never would. It is only because many of us have become more familiar with our own praying knees that Amelia found her way. Could complete recovery be far behind? We won't stop praying--God hears us all--and He has responded.
This is certainly a huge step forward in Amelia's progress. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her fully for the first time in a long time. I love the picture of Christina lovingly planting a kiss on Amelia. (And please don't tell me that is an eye roll from Amelia as she is kissing her. Those of you who are familiar with the Cannon girls knows who it was that perfected that one.)
The need to be with you now is overwhelming. I want to be able to help in any way I can, but it seems as though the two here at home are just as helpless and needy as Amelia. I can't see my way clear to come to Houston any time soon. I'm so torn, when I hold Thomas and Addie I feel guilty--knowing that I can't be there for Amelia as well. I miss not being able to do that for her.
So Amelia, it's time you learned to play a game Grammy played as a young girl. It's called Mother May I. Mommy will explain the game and the rules. Basically to take steps forward you'll need to ask permission and don't forget to say "Mother May I" with each request. Sometimes you will be granted baby steps, sometimes GIANT steps, but sometimes you will be denied steps forward because you forgot to say "Mother May I". But now that you know the rules, the steps forward, whether they are little baby steps, or GIANT steps will be many and will all be up to you. The steps backward will be few, for what Mother who loves their little girl as much as Mommy loves you would want to deny those steps, no matter how small? Grammy will help you along the way. The prize for you will be Daddy carrying you home in his arms. I hope to be there to see that.
Continue to amaze us with your progress. I am posting your new picture (without all the head gear) on my computer so you are the first thing I see when I turn it on. Love MOM/Grammy
Can you imagine months of not 'owning' your own face, and then suddenly having it strap-free again!?! Go Amelia...you are AMAZING! I just looked WAY back to the first photos of Amelia...what a journey it has been, and will continue to be. She is really amazing...
Kathy
Post a Comment