All dressed up with no place to go!
This is the note one of her nurses put on the CPAP to make everyone aware that she only requires a bit of tweaking at a time.
Amelia went back down to 5 on her CPAP pressure yesterday afternoon. She was at 40% oxygen at the time and she went all the way down to 33% last night. She weighed in at 9 lbs. 3 oz. I think her weight gain is tapering off because they have reduced her caloric intake. She had OT yesterday and she took 6 ccs of pedialyte even after she had already been fed. PT will come in the morning to work with her on her various exercises which include strengthening her neck and legs and also working with her to bring her arms and hands midline (to her center and touching each other).
Dr. Khan is back on the case today and is much more aggressive then Dr. Nawab. I have a feeling nasal cannula is on the horizon for Amelia in the very near future if she continues to keep her oxygen requirements where they are right now. It is a big leap from CPAP to nasal cannula. Right now she is getting 9 LPM (liters per minute) of flow and nasal cannula will only be 2...she may fail, but it must be tried. The thought is very exciting.
Amelia also had her brain MRI on Monday and we are anticipating that we will get results back today. She had a renal ultrasound taken on Monday as well and that came back as pretty normal. She still needs diuretics to keep her urine output to the appropriate level, so they will continue to monitor her kidneys to make sure she is not developing any calcifications (stones).
4 comments:
Oh, the note was a great idea! Passive aggressive, haha. I guess its better than you going in there screaming at people:) She looks so cute in the little dress! Cmon cannula!
People don't want to be on the receiving end of my wrath!
What a cutie!!! Sounds as if Amelia is making good strides towards coming home! Marie Grip
Dear Amelia,
Mommy called me twice yesterday to tell me about your progress, and further updates, she was so excited. I never get tired of hearing about you and how you are doing. I want more than anything to be able to see you, hold you, play "this little piggy", sing the shoe song ("Put your little foot") with you, and comfort you should you EVER again get fussy. It can't be, so I rely heavily on Mommy and Daddy's blog for every tidbit of information. I hear the love, frustration, Love, fear, LOve, worry, LOVe, concern, and LOVE in their words. I also hear their pride, their excitement, their commitment. You always manage to step up and pump them (and all of us) up when most in need, and I know it's not your job, but you are doing that well nonetheless.
Grammy's heart is full to the brim with excitement and anticipation with your next steps--off the CPAP, onto nasal canula and moving to NICU Level II. I will continue to pray for you and all your physician and nursing staff until the long awaited day when you will come home to terrorize A-Z. (Right now they think they're in charge, hope to be there to see their reaction when they find out they're not. They may need some comfort dealing with that for a while.)
You are in my thoughts and prayers daily, Love Grammy
Post a Comment