Saturday, November 7, 2009

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!


Mommy, wow! I'm a big kid now.


Hmmmm. I'm not sure what to think about this thing.


Amelia loves her some lolli!

So we are doing some intense oral aversion therapy with Amelia. Every meal time she is getting 15 minutes of cheek stroking, lollipops, gum rubbing, wash cloths on the mouth, dipping her fists in formula so she'll suck on her fingers....all types of activities. The idea is to make meal time fun and having her face and mouth touched fun.

I went out and bought lollipops, lip smackers, and teething rings! The lip smackers I figure will moisturize her lips which she needs and then will put flavor on her lips so she can have some yummy on them all day long. I used cherry on her yesterday and caught her licking her lips several times. The teething rings we will chill so she can get the cold sensation and the bumpy textures in her mouth too.

I bought the tray that goes with the Bumbo seat so now we can sit her up in her bed at meal time and do our therapies with her. She doesn't particularly enjoy the high chair you see in the first picture, but she really likes the Bumbo.

Yesterday at her 5:00 meal I gave her a grape flavored dum dum. I started by rubbing her cheeks and then using the lolli to play with her lips and tease her with it. I dipped it in some water to get the thing activated and dabbed it on her lips. She started licking her lips and then she got the idea and started sticking out her tongue.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a lollipop? The world may never know! She got tired and fell asleep. She had already had OT and PT that day and lots of visitors standing around talking to her by her crib. A kid needs a nap every now and then -- and she was fighting sleep all day long.

Amelia weighs 12 lbs. 2 oz. If we give her a steady diet of lollipops, that might go up quickly!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute- who knew lollipops could be therapeutic? I have used chocolate for years, but anyway.. Amelia is looking awesome. I can't wait until the day when she and G can play. Love, Bridget

Anonymous said...

Dear Amelia, Mommy and Daddy,
I am beginning to get the feeling that something wonderful is in the making. You are making such strides......is it too much to hope that coming home is close at hand?

Mommy picked out fabric for your Christmas dress and Aunt Marian is busy thinking about smocking patterns to compliment it. You are about to be the "Belle of Christmas present". Grammy will crochet you a new pair of slippers to go with your dress, if the ones I have made you aren't suitable. Can't wait till someone takes your place as the "Princess of the Pod" at Christmas. Love Grammy

(Notice Grammy skipped over the Thanksgiving holiday for dressing up? Remember, I promised not to let mommy dress you up as a turkey, so I am focusing on the Christmas attire instead.)

Anonymous said...

The lollipop thing is so funny! If it works, it works. yay!
Becca

Post a Comment