Amelia had some of her first feeds through the g-tube yesterday. It was just a small amount of pedialyte. They will give her some formula today if they have not already and gradually increase it. They are not giving her a thickened feed right now. It is regular formula. They had given her a feed that mixed with the acid in the stomach and thickened to make it harder for it to come back up if she was refluxing. If she has reflux, this surgery would not have cured it. If her oxygen requirements go up after she starts to eat, we'll know that reflux can be blamed on her problems, because not eating is the only difference in her before and after the surgery. I know she had several reflux studies but I have heard that they are all pretty flawed. I am not sure where this will leave us. One of the most obvious things has never been tried. Meds like prevacid. I know a lot of reluxing preemies get that.
She was satting well yesterday and is breathing at between 30 and 40% oxygen. She no longer has her NG tube so she doesn't require all the tape she had before to hold it in place. She is now down to just the cannula and some clear tape called tagaderm to hold that on (which is seems like she may have a sensitivity to so we need them to start putting some protective stuff under it called duaderm). I washed her hair yesterday so she is looking less dirty. We haven't been able to give her a bath in a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment