Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Haven't We Been Here Before?

I think Amelia is getting off the vent today. I didn't realize it, but they gave her dexamethasone (steroid) to get her off the vent. They were afraid with the intubation that it caused her throat to swell, which makes it difficult for her to take her own breaths. Now that she has the steroids on board they are detecting a leak around the ET tube, which is a good sign.

As I am typing, I just received a call from the hospital. She is being extubated in the next few minutes and will be put on CPAP 8. They will continue to take blood gases and wean her. We still need all your prayers that her stay on CPAP will be as short as possible. We need her to be on cannula to come home. Her liter flow before the surgery was 3 and we had one doctor (who will be on her case the first two weeks of December) say that he would trust us to bring her home on 1.5 liters...which is higher than what other doctors had told us. He seemed to really emphasize that because Todd and I were obviously very attnetive parents, that he would be comfortable with us taking her home on a higher liter flow.

We would really love to have her home by Christmas! I don't know if it is possible, but it is something to shoot for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers heading your way, as always! Hope she is on the CPAP as briefly as possible. Marie Grip

Jacqui said...

So wonderful that she is being extubated! I knew that she could do it! I will be there tomorrow to check in on you guys, hope by then she is still able to wean. I will be keeping my fingers crossed!

mommy & daddy said...

I'm so happy she's getting extubated!! She is such a trooper! Hope she's back on the cannula soon!

Anonymous said...

And we will be praying so very hard that Amelia moves to the cannula soon, and that Christmas morning will be in her own bed at home.
Vickie Cross

Unknown said...

I am thinking about little Amelia today. I so wish she was home with her family today but I am so grateful for all the progress she has made. As little as she is, she inspires me every time I think about how hard she fights and everything that she has had to endure. She's incredible. I continue to have this beautiful child in my prayers daily. Rejoice in your blessings today!

Post a Comment