So the soy sauce bottle worked really well, until I got the end and had to tip it up and it bumped into her nose. Uh oh. I didn't think of that.
First we put her up in her high chair to feed her and she desatted, so we took her out and I held her and that worked much better. She took nearly 30ml. I say nearly because a little bit dribbled down her front because she likes to turn her head at the last second while I am trying to put it into her mouth. We have really been using those bibs! At some point the OT told me to put on a glove and when she dribbled I swiped it with my finger and pushed it into her mouth. The feed is being thickened so that it has some grab and texture and is less likely to be a choking hazard. It is the consistency of pancake batter.
I am bringing in the silicone sauce cups, a sippy cuppy with no valve and medicine spoon with a hallow handle that holds liquid and has measure marks. I have also been told about nosey cups (cups with a notch that won't block the nose), flexible cups I can squeeze to form a spout (also with a notch in them), and something called a Haberman bottle.
This bottle is made for kids with sucking problems. They were designed especially for kids with cleft or missing palates. The nipple has a slow, medium or fast flow and works on a pumping actiojn like the breast and ot so much on a sucking action like a bottle. If the child makes any kind of motion with their mouth, it releases about 1 ml of liquid into the nipple and it dribbles into the baby's mouth. I can see that this would work for her once we get it in her mouth, but part of the problem is getting her to want a nipple in her mouth. I am going to ask OT about this. The bottles are expensive and I don't want to buy them unless OT thinks it is a good idea.
The OT I worked with yesterday is a substitute. The lady we usually work with is out for a week. Today we will have yet another OT lady. It doesn't really matter, because it is me that is consistently feeding her. Yesterday's OT lady was wondering if Amelia could be ready for cereal! I mentioned this to the doctor when she stopped by and she said it was too early. They are going by her developmental age of 4 months and she said 4-6 months is when that is usually introduced. She explained that cereal fills you up but doesn't have as many calories and right now getting the calories she needs is the most important thing. And if we want her out of the hospital she needs to have the proper nutrition to get her there. Of course, that's our goal, too.
When I walked in yesterday the nurse had Amelia propped up in her boppy and was being very social, meeting and greeting everyone. She loves sitting up better than anything else. I think she has probably gotten sick of counting the ceiling tiles above her crib. When she saw me yesterday and I started talking to her she smiled very broadly several times in a few minutes. This is a new development. She rarely smiles, so to see so many so close together was very exciting.
Though she is in the hospital, she seems like she is a happy baby.
5 comments:
Dear C&T,
I jumped on that comment by Anne (from yesterday) and learned a great deal about those Haberman Bottles. I have an idea as to where I can obtain one to try out on Amelia before they are actually purchased. Come to think of it, since she is still in the hospital, they should acquire it and insurance will be billed for it. No sense in purchasing them in bulk (at $30. a bottle) unless your little princess will actually drink from it. Will let you know what comes of it.
Keep up the good work, Amelia. Mommy really gets her batteries charged when you smile at her. She is coming in earlier than before, just to be able to bottle/cup feed you. We are all praying for you in earnest. Love Grammy
Amelia is a happy baby, because she knows how very much she is loved by her mommy, daddy, family, medical caregivers, and all of us who have kept her in prayers. She knows she is a special little girl, and another miracle baby for all of us.
Vickie Cross
There is a nurse Karen Kerkkoff Gromada who is a whiz at infant feeding issues...espcially premies with special issues and all their options. You may want to email her via her website....karengromada.com
More later after I read even more of your blog. ......
Hugs Jamie Cordeiro 435-2000
jamie.cordeiro@infirmaryhealth.org
OH I forgot to say that it is purely an American thing to start babies on cereal first. In European countries, they steam and puree a half a carrot (and add the water from steaming) until is thinner and mushy like cereal thickness. Amelia can get a lot of great nutrients with her first solid food and then you can then do sweet potatoes etc very squishy too. Jamie C. (Mobile AL)
Oh - did you know that Nikki Koppermsith (Ginger's daughter) is ( I think the head of nutrition) at Women and Children's hospital
here ? She would be a good resource (since she is a mom too).
She must know a lot about babies with a need for great nutrition so they can go home ASAP. Jamie C. OK -- That's all for tonight. I will be going out of town but back on MONDAY
Post a Comment