Friday, September 10, 2010

Music to My Ears

Day before yesterday when the lady at the carwash told her "Bye!" Amelia waved at her. Three days ago Amelia said Mama. At least I thought she did. I also thought she said it back in March when we were leaving the hospital, but I am pretty sure I was hearing things. 6 months later and she said it in our living room and I was all by myself with no witnesses. Then the next day she babbled in the middle of her physical therapy session so the therapist heard it. Then this morning we visited Aunt Pat and she heard her babbling away. And then her other therapist heard her. And now she is home and she is doing some more of it. This is not a one time thing -- I think we are starting to talk a little. I am so very excited! It sounds like she is saying, "Ba ba wa wa." I am thinking maybe I should turn off the TV when The View comes on!

In other therapy news we have been given some bike short things that have the legs sewn together. This is supposed to keep her hips in alignment so she has her legs closer together when she is sitting. It makes it harder for her to use her legs to stabilize her and she has to make her core muscles do more of the work. This will be important for crawling and walking later.

Also we have been given some orthopedic shoes with inserts that help stabilize her ankles so we can do some weight bearing with her. She is making headway!


Mommy, wow! I'm a big kid now.

3 comments:

glenna said...

Dear C&T and A,
So good to see such progress. I don't know whether spending time with the young cousins had this effect on her progress, but am glad for it nonetheless. The day she clearly says MAMA and nuzzles your neck will be the day you shed tears of Joy. She is almost there.

Also glad to see that you are back to blogging daily, as there are many that depend on little snippets from you to bring them joy. I still check the site meter and find her following is as strong as ever. Keep up the postings, pictures are worth a million words. Love MOM/Grammy

glenna said...

Dear C,
Just got to thinking, is there any reason Amelia couldn't use her walker/saucer with her shoes and stabilizers on so that she could start standing on her own? You could certainly be with her and encourage her by placing her feet just so and getting her to bear her own weight. I known optimally it would be better their way, but she is also beginning to be a bit much for your small frame to handle.......What about it? Love MOM

The Villasmil Family said...

We are so happy so see and read about Amelia's progress!!!! She is just a fighter!!!! High five to all of you for your great work!!!!

Post a Comment