so we took off all her clothes. The pod was having some kind of temperature malfunction last night and it was hotter than hades. I was uncomfortable and started removing my sweatshirt and needed breaks for drinks of water and then we noticed that Amelia started getting tachypnic (rapid breathing) and her chest was pulling in from the effort of breathing. She was also having problems keeping up her sats on 1 liter and I was starting to think "Oh no, here we go again!"
The nurse convinced me that it was just the heat that was causing it, so she called someone to come cool things down. In the interim the nurse opened the pod door to get some cool air from the hallway, Todd and I took off her clothes, took her off her boppy pillow and laid her on her tummy. The nurse got us some cool rags and Todd wiped her down on her head and back, then I took my turn working on the back of her neck, her arm pits and the back of her knees.
During the whole thing she was sound asleep. I think she was tired from all the effort. We just covered her up with a warm blanket once things started to cool down. I didn't want to wake her up to put on her night night clothes. And besides aren't naked babies just the cutest thing ever?
Amelia had a visitor all the way from California! Mr. Chad came to visit. We haven't seen him in a couple years and it was so nice to see him. He was very on top of all the medical terminology and I was pretty impressed that he seemed to understand everything.
Last night they brought all our teaching meds to the bedside and I think we have finalized a schedule to group together the meds as much as possible, though Todd and I are disagreeing about when to administer one of her meds.
The nurse was showing me how to prime the pump for feeds last night but the lesson came around 10:00 PM, which is way beyond the time my mind is able to absorb new material. I overfilled it and we had to start over and I had things dripping all over the place. Luckily I will be getting a do-over.
Today I am bringing up the carseat so Amelia can do her carseat challenge. Which means she has to sit in the seat and not desat. I think I am going to patch her and play with her to keep her interested while she is hanging out in her chair.
The nurse convinced me that it was just the heat that was causing it, so she called someone to come cool things down. In the interim the nurse opened the pod door to get some cool air from the hallway, Todd and I took off her clothes, took her off her boppy pillow and laid her on her tummy. The nurse got us some cool rags and Todd wiped her down on her head and back, then I took my turn working on the back of her neck, her arm pits and the back of her knees.
During the whole thing she was sound asleep. I think she was tired from all the effort. We just covered her up with a warm blanket once things started to cool down. I didn't want to wake her up to put on her night night clothes. And besides aren't naked babies just the cutest thing ever?
Amelia had a visitor all the way from California! Mr. Chad came to visit. We haven't seen him in a couple years and it was so nice to see him. He was very on top of all the medical terminology and I was pretty impressed that he seemed to understand everything.
Last night they brought all our teaching meds to the bedside and I think we have finalized a schedule to group together the meds as much as possible, though Todd and I are disagreeing about when to administer one of her meds.
The nurse was showing me how to prime the pump for feeds last night but the lesson came around 10:00 PM, which is way beyond the time my mind is able to absorb new material. I overfilled it and we had to start over and I had things dripping all over the place. Luckily I will be getting a do-over.
Today I am bringing up the carseat so Amelia can do her carseat challenge. Which means she has to sit in the seat and not desat. I think I am going to patch her and play with her to keep her interested while she is hanging out in her chair.
3 comments:
Here's hoping Miss Amelia conquers her carseat challenge so she can get "off the island"!!! Exciting days! Marie Grip
Look at the big girl sitting in her carseat !! So sweet ! Amelia says alrighty....I am ready to break out of here !
So sad about the heat.....I think I would have been rather upset with that situation.
She is already filling out that carseat! You will be using it for 5 minutes before you have to turn her around! I am so excited and nervous for you- I have been scared to even comment- I am praying that this is really it- Love, Bridget
Post a Comment