Getting ready for Valentine's Day. Will you be Mine?
Amelia has been weaned down to 1 3/4 liters at 100% oxygen. The doctor du jour thinks because they have been preparing for her to go home by mandating that she sleeps on her back, it is affecting her oxygen requirement. On her back she needs a lot more than when she is sitting up or on her tummy.
She sounds good, her lungs look as good as they ever have, she is moving air well, she doesn't seem to struggle to breathe...so for all those reasons she has weaned her liter flow.
They have reduced the volume of her food and upped the calories to minimize excess fluid. because she is so dependent on diuretics, they are trying to help her as much as possible in this regard.
They will wean her 1/4 liter every other day as long as she keeps her sats up. This doctor says she won't let her go home until she is at 1/4 liter. Most other doctors say .5 or 1 LPM. She will be off this week and then we will get another doctor come Monday. So we'll see what happens then.
6 comments:
She's doing so well! This is exciting. I can't wait to see the coming home pictures that are sure to come. Keep up the good work Amelia! -rlc
Christina and Todd - I have been so touched by your story of Amelia, I'm an old classmate of Todd's and saw his posts on FB and read your blog front to back, my daughter Paige (14 now) was born only 2 weeks early (bedrest for 4 months)- also pre-eclampsia and was diagnosed with PDA at 6 weeks old, we spent the first year of her life in and out of Texas Childrens, everytime she had a sniffle - we were there for weeks. Paige was not underdeveloped in any areas by no means - weighing in at 9#. But, I remember all the sleepless nights at the hospital, all the friends and family and all the prayer requests. Your daughter is a beautiful girl with a long life ahead of her. I'm glad the both of you have such strong faith and a strong family base to keep you grounded. I can only imagine that day when the hospital is in your rear view mirror and she is sleeping in her own bed at her home. Please if there is anything I can do for you, I'd love to be able to pay it forward. Kim (Foucault) Lagunas
"Preparing for her to go home"; what wonderful words! She is so adorable and has come so far. I hope that you are all on your way home before you know it. Marie Grip
Amelia, you are such a cute little valentine !
Vickie Cross
We are praying you can come home soon...
Dear Amelia,
Grammy has been thinking about you a lot lately, and I really miss being able to come with Mommy to see you. The latest picture of you in your Valentine's Day attire looks sweet as cotton candy. You need to remember that you are the eldest in your company of Angels, and, as their "Pod Princess" are looking to you for encouragement and positive reinforcement.
I don't bet on much in life, but I put a large wager on you right after your premature birth, and it looks like it's about to pay off....big time. Can't wait.....Love Grammy
Post a Comment