Saturday, January 30, 2010

State of the Baby Address


Napping with daddy is comfy.


Sitting up and playing on my activity mat.


I'm happy and I know it, but I haven't gotten the hand clapping thing down yet.


Playing with her new toy in her Bumbo seat.

Amelia continues to giggle and smile broadly most of the day. She must feel pretty good. She is easily amused and loves to be held, cuddled, talked to...what she does not like to do is sleep! We really need to get her to take a couple naps a day, because she is crashing around 4:00 in the afternoon and then waking up at 1:00am!

She has discovered she has two hands and can spend an hour just touching them together and looking at them. She proudly shows them to anyone who comes to visit with her at her bedside.

PT is impressed with her development. They are currently focusing on her legs. She still doesn't put weight through them and on her feet, so they are working with her on that. They also were working with her on keeping her arms straight in the creeping position to get her ready for crawling. The thought of Amelia crawling is terrifying and exciting at the same time. When did she become such a big girl? When I hold her I think she is the perfect size and weight for cuddling and I don't want her to get any bigger!

She has won the heart of all the nurses that work in the pod with her. All the bigger babies are crying. She does fuss a bit, but she is usually over it quickly and is back to smiling. She has a lot of visitors that come calling. Perhaps this is why she doesn't ever take a nap...her doorbell is always ringing and she never turns anyone away. In fact she is using her new arms strength to push up so she can get her head higher so she can look up and around at anyone or anything she finds interesting in the pod. A real Gladys Kravitz!

In hair news: I called this morning and was told the nurse put her hair in pigtails! I cannot wait to see this.

She is still on 2 LPM and her oxygen requirement has crept up as high as 65%. I saw this coming because they took away her chronic diuretics. The doctor has given her twice as much lasix every other day to compensate. He also said he would be willing to put her on a course of a steroid called prednisolone to bring her requirement down even further. He only wants to do this if he thinks she isn't going to be able to do it herself.

I think Valentine's Day is not going to happen for her homecoming. Dr. Khan gave us the guarantee that she will be home by her first birthday -- which is only a couple months away. She will be 10 months on February 2. This is the first time a doctor has gone out on a limb to give us a guarantee (not sure what we get if it falls through -- our money back?) I am hoping the end of February.

7 comments:

glenna said...

Dear C&T,
Sounds as though Miss Amelia is readying HERSELF to come home. I thought it was too good to be true that she had such a good schedule of wake/sleep patterns. She is getting herself turned around so that NOBODY gets a good nights sleep--especially her dear ole MOM and DAD. What a little stinker. Welcome to the real world of babies....

It seems like things are picking up speed, now, almost like a downhill run. Make sure you are ready this time and are in control of the brakes! We have all been praying for this time to come for you three and we can't wait for it to happen. Love MOM/Grammy

Anonymous said...

I think all of those doctors and nurses have just fallen in love with sweet baby Amelia and just don't want to let her go ! :) She will come home soon, and her mommy and daddy have earned their place in heaven having to be so patient for so long ! Amelia is just taking her time and building up for her grand homecoming, and won't that be such a glorious day !
Vickie Cross

Anonymous said...

She is so darn adorable! I love the tiny little pigtails. You're all in the home stretch now! Marie Grip

Anonymous said...

She is getting so big....and to cute! I tried to call you today, but clearly have the wrong number...or at least I'm pretty sure you don't have a young girl on your answering machine. I miss you and think of you and your family often! Cathlynn

MommaK said...

Oh, she's gotten so big and just more and more beautifu! DARLING hair!!! Praying for homecoming soon!!

steven deaton said...

we are so happy to hear that dr. khan guaranteed that she will be home before her first birthday. finally there is some true light at the end of the tunnel! you guys will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. nathan is giving amelia a wink wink on the new hair style. take care and hope that the next time we all see each other wont be in a freakin hospital.

Jenny V said...

She is too cute. We are all happy she will soon be home!

Post a Comment