Thursday, January 28, 2010

The case of the giggling little girl

AE is doing great. She was at 2.0LPM for most of the day on Wednesday and did outstanding. She was awake and ready for the world, playing with the nurses and mommy. Xina even got a giggle out of her when she tickled Amelia's chin. Wow. She's barely been able to make noises for so long it seems amazing that she can giggle so happily.

The staff is making efforts to start a daily routine and prep her for going home, however Amelia doesn't want to live by their clock. She was asleep last night when I got there and slept through her assessment and bath. Right on up until 2am, when she decided it was time for her play. She stayed awake for a lot of the night and early morning, but the day nurse forced her to take a nap and now she's sleeping - supposedly.

We don't know yet what the ETA is or the benchmarks they want Amelia to hit before allowing her to come home. I'm guessing a consistent high satting on 1LPM @ 100% FIO2 is the likely O2 goal; keeping weight on without retaining water (since they just took her off her diuretics, they'll want to watch that for at least week), and also being able to take her whole feed within 30 minutes. I'm hopeful these can happen relatively soon (compared to the rest of her stay). Her O2 support now @ 2LPM and 45% is not that much different, and going from 2hrs to 30 minutes on the feed is not that difficult, since it's a matter of getting her stomach stretched, her stitches healed and herself able to remove gas from her tummy sans belching (you get the inference?).

I'm going out on a limb and saying that Xina and I likely won't be having a romantic Valentine's day dinner alone. Xina is afraid to guess. I do think, however, the end is nigh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope...just the beginning! :)

What wonderful progress she is making! Marie Grip

glenna said...

Giggling....??? Really....??? How am I able to wait till next I see the Pod Princess? She is moving right into the fun stage where you will be just as awed as Amelia. I do still remember how much I enjoyed my babies. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

I think Valentine's day is a wonderful day for homecomings !! :) And I am going to pray that the 3 of you will share that Valentine's meal together at home !
Vickie Cross

mommy & daddy said...

Nathan is sooo excited!! He'll finally be able to meet Amelia!

Unknown said...

Love the good news, cute stories, and the pictures of Pod Princess. Thank you for keeping us in the loop, as we continue to check in on you guys daily.

Love,
The Gaylers

Unknown said...

So happy to hear that AE might be going home soon. I agree with Mrs. Grip, things are just beginning! I'm so excited for ya'll!!!! Jessica

Post a Comment