Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Hitch in Our Get Along

Our neonatologist had an echocardiogram done on Amelia to repeat one she had had several months ago, just to be careful before she was to be released. He wanted to make sure her pulmonary hypertension resolved because babies with this aren't as resilient when it comes to colds and that sort of thing. They are at a much higher risk of rehospitalization...and he would send them home on much less oxygenbecause if they get sick they will need a lot more oxygen to breathe -- more than we are capable of giving her at home.

So the echo came back that she does have pulmonary hypertention. Now the doctor ordered up another echo that was done yesterday just to confirm the results. Worst case scenario they will put her on a medication and they will monitor her for a couple more days to make sure that she is doing OK on it. I will keep everyone posted as to what the finally decision is.

Yesterday Santa Claus came to town. I put her pretty smocked Christmas dress on her, her tights and her black mary janes about half an hour before he arrived. We were sitting in the chair relaxing when I heard some violent gurgling coming out of her pants area.

So I put her up in her bed to change her, but it was too late. It had shot up her back and she had gotten poop all over her tights and her dress. She also had a cute velour outfit that says Santa's Helper on it, but that was also dirty. We had to settle for a onsie with snowflakes on it.

We had taken most of her clothing home because we are trying to bring home most of her belongings so we don't have to bring in three steamer trunks when we finally leave there.

We got some nice pictures with Santa, Mrs. Claus and the elf baby wrangler (Nurse Amy). I think she enjoyed it. She had a full day and slept most of the evening after that.

2 comments:

glenna said...

Dear C&T,
This morning I attended the 7:25 Mass at St. Mary's that was for Miss Amelia. It was long ago scheduled for her by Aunt Tooty and Fr. Cunningham was the celebrant. His humor is always enjoyable; he manages to make it so personal to the family involved. You can really tell he loves kids. The McT girls Volleyball team was also in attendance and he involved them in conversation from the altar about who they were playing (St. Paul's) and about displaying good sportsgirlship (which was difficult to say and did not roll off his tongue until the third attempt).

I have been busy spreading the good news of Amelia's homecoming, and as long winded as I get, I managed to get back home around 1:30 to give my tongue a rest. All kidding aside, all I have spoken to are absolutely over the top with excitement for you.

Love to all three of you, MOM/Glenna/Grammy

Anonymous said...

That poop story reminds me of Emily as a baby. We were at the other grandparents and she had an explosion while I was getting her ready for bed. the poo shot up her back through the collar of the gown over the top of the protective pad on the bed and on to the blanket underneath. Everything had to be cleaned, except the protective pad. I was in the doghouse for a while after that. They'd never seen anything like it.

Thrilled with the news and thinking of you often. It will be wonderful for all three of you to be home together. Don't be shy about telling your friends and relatives to GO AWAY- or to come over and bring food! xxoo Elizabeth

Post a Comment