Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!


















Amelia turned one year old yesterday. I thought that we wouldn't do much to celebrate, but then I began to feel guilty and think that in the future I might regret it, so I invited all of my aunts and cousins in town to a dinner party to celebrate. We didn't get the ball rolling until after 6:00 and Amelia was already starting to fade.

Cousin Deanna was a big help getting everything together. I am great at getting prepared before the party starts, but when people arrive I get distracted and off task, because I cannot socialize and help people and prepare dinner at the same time. She cooked the beans and the rice while I drank a glass of wine and did? I can't remember now, but I was awfully busy doing it. She also wrote down names of who gave what gift so I could write out thank yous from Amelia and she also stood guard of the food so no one would graze on it while we got everything prepared.

Amelia began to look a little more spirited when she was getting passed around for everyone to have a cuddle and holding time. She loves to be lavished with one on one attention. In fact one of her gifts was a pretty soft lavender blanket that has SPOILED embroidered on it. I was a bit indignant that someone would think that and because I don't think it is true at all! Hmmmph.

I made her cupcakes for her birthday and put them on a cupcake tree and topped it with a 1 candle. I forgot that we are not supposed to have open flames near oxygen so she couldn't blow out her candle or have it anywhere near her face. By the time we got around to dessert she was very sleepy...she barely made it through presents.

Earlier that day we had a pediatrician appointment and she got her MMR, chicken pox and her last RSV shot. She cried for a few minutes, but quickly got over it. After that we walked over to the NICU to visit some of her nurses. 3 out of her 4 primaries were not there, but Nurse Jackie was there! We also saw another one of the nurses that took care of her a few time, but came by routinely to check in on her. Also we saw two of the front desk reception ladies and told us that the others were going to be very jealous that they saw her and they didn't get to.

Overall it was a very good birthday. She gots lots of lovely gifts and got lots of hugs, kisses and holding time. Lots of phone calls, happy birthday songs and messages. Tomorrow we will get her all dressed up and go over to Aunt Pat's house and easter egg hunt and have dinner. And then Tuesday her aunt and cousins will come into town. The party never ends!

So in medical news...Amelia's retching and coughing, back arching and eye rolling is amping up and she actually vomited even though she has a fundo. She doesn't have a fever and she doesn't require more oxygen, but I know she is miserable. She has purple bags under her eyes.

We have an appointment with the suregeon and he will do an examination by x-ray or some other means to determine if her fundo has loosened or unwrapped. She also has had very loose stools for the last three or four days and i have read that reflux can do this. She has lost about half a pund in weight. She is now 16.6 lbs. and 26" long. We knew her jeans were fitting better around the middle.

We also went and had our first therapy assessment for her oral skills. The lady who did her assessment and who will be working with her is also named Amelia! Speech works with her on getting her mouth desensitized to having objects in them. Once she is accepting of that we can work on her having flavors and food in her mouth and eating. Hopefully by then her oxygen requirement will go down and the pulmonologist will okay her to amp up her eating. The therapy lady says she thinks they can make a lot of progress with her because she already seems like she is receptive to having some things in her mouth.

I just hope we can get the reflux problem under control because we were having the same problem in the hospital with getting traction on her oral skills because of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 1st birthday sweet Amelia ! We knew you would be home for that first birthday ! And so glad you were able to celebrate that wonderful day with family. Such a big girl now. You will always be in our prayers ! God's blessing as you begin your second year of life !
Vickie Cross

Anonymous said...

GDad and GMom were sad to miss the first party, but we had 2 great evenings with you before the 2nd. We thought about you all day and knew you would have loves all around you that day. I hope you will excuse the off tune birthday song we sent your way via phone...but Carter, Ava, Annie and all of us were trying our best. You have certainly changed since that first night you were born! Wow! Even more beautiful, of course. Can't wait to see what you got for your birthday, and did you save us a cupcake? Love, hugs, and kisses, GMom PS...we may see you tonight.

Post a Comment