Sunday, May 26, 2013

Get the Red Out

Just wanted to show you some pictures of what her eyes look like post operation. Looks like she could use a bottle of Visine! The one on the right looks visibly redder on the evening of the surgery. I was concerned because that eye, which I always considered to be the straighter of the two, looked like it was pointing outward. The doctor called about 9:00PM after the surgery to check on her and make sure she was doing OK. We asked about it at that time and she has assured us that once the swelling goes down, you will be better be able to tell how well the alignment went.

I just snapped the photos of her in her pink shirt a few minutes ago and that eye already looks like it is straighter. But then the left eye looks a bit crossed in the 1st pink shirt photo, but then not at all in the 2nd. I am trying not to overanalyze it right now. There is a reason why her post-op appointment is 10 days out. Things needs to stop swelling and her eyes and brain need a chance to start working together.

We don't want to get our hopes up yet, and we don't want to project something that isn't there, but she seems like she is stumbling less, sitting back from the TV more, no longer tilting her head in odd positions, etc. I have been looking at her looking at objects and it does seem that she is using both eyes together.

Before the surgery the doctor told us that she thought her vision was good -- and Todd who remains the most skeptical of her visual acuity, heard her! I had heard her say it before, but it is hard to really believe after we have heard the range of diagnosis from cortically blind, legally blind, and visually impaired. Pretty good. It is yet another opinion, but I choose to hope that she is right until otherwise proven.

Other than that, she has been a pretty good patient. She wants to rub her eyes a lot and I am just letting her. She is on two anti-biotics for that reason. She has been in relatively good humor, lets me put drops in her eyes without resistance. We are letting her watch lots of TV since she is supposed to take easy for the next few days.

I am so used to her crossed eyes and it being Amelia and what she looks like, that it may take a little getting used to her new look.

Evening of the surgery
Today it looks a lot redder in the left eye.

Here is a close up so you can see the redness.

1 comment:

glenna said...

Am hoping and praying that this really the only surgery that she will need. In this last photo her eyes appear so much larger or maybe just wider open. I know in my heart that she will enjoy so much improvement in her vision because of the realignment surgery. She is probably (or will be)seeing things in focus and clearly for the first time and is in wonder over it all. I can see that her stumbling could be a result of poor vision and how much better that will be too.

I know her doctor has the experience with this surgery, but thank her from the bottom of my heart. Some of my prayers, and those of others have been answered. Talk about a milestone. MOM

Post a Comment