
If you are reading my blog and have a kid with oral motor skill problems and has difficulty drinking volumes of liquid from bottles or sippy cups, and because of it you cannot wean from the tube, stop reading now and get this Honey Bear! It is low tech and inexpensive. It looks simple and it may be early yet, but I am pretty sure this is the answer. I have known about the honey bear from nearly a year, but I have bought numerous bottles, pacifiers, and sippy cups that were all going to be the answer, and they never were so I was reluctant to add to my collection of drinking and sucking apparatus.
I found out today that the Honey Bear could potentially be what will get Amelia off of her g-tube. She drank half a bottle of Pediasure from this thing in one sitting. I begin to squeeze it, but once I have primed it, she is sucking from it herself, and swallowing large volumes of Pediasure. Does she still need to learn how to eat solids? Yes. But if we can get her to drink her Pediasure by mouth, we can drop the tube and then work on weaning Pediasure and transitioning more and more to solid foods. I am so excited right now I could cry!
5 comments:
wahooooooooooo!!
That is so great! I have heard about it to, but never have tried it for Jack. Just might have to get one!
Jessi,
We are also thickening her feed with Simply Thick too, which I think is also contributing to her success. The thickness slows down the speed of the fluid which allows her to manipulate and control it better.
Now that you are coming along with the walking, it IS time for you to focus on your eats. Here's to hoping that you speed through this phase as quickly as you have the crawling and walking! Your cheerleading section has not left you, so keep up the good work. We are with you every step of the way.
Am praying for patience for all and hoping that the G-tube will soon become a thing of the past. Grammy
That is absolutely awesome. Go Amelia Go!
Post a Comment