Reading Daddy a bedtime story.
Getting ready to go out for my first Japanese restaurant experience! Things got a little hot and I didn't want to stay in the kitchen.
Good examples of long happy marriages! Aunt Pat & Uncle Steve, Grandmom & Grandad show us how it's done.
We have been pretty active this last week. We haven't been letting her allergies get us down. We finally decided to give her a decongestant at least overnight to break up all her clogs and make it easier to suction her first thing in the morning. It seems to be working pretty well. Before we clued in and got the decongestant, she had a blue spell last week where her satts dipped down in the 50s, but it was only for less than 15 seconds. It seemed like an eternity and brought back lots of bad memories. It sent Todd into such a panic that he rushed home. We kind of laid low for a few days after that. I had her oxygen up to 2 liters and hoped we could wean her down but we didn't have much success.
Todd and I decided to buy our own pulsox because the one we rent from the insurance company is very expensive and we are able to get a nice one half off of retail from another preemie mom. Our insurance company apparently has an annual cap on how much they will give us for medical equipment and we reached our limit. The amount we would pay out of pocket for the remainder of the year would be more than the purchase price. It is super nice. It has a much longer battery life, is 1/3 the size and weighs nothing compared to the brick we were using. It also came with two adult sensors, but they work on Amelia's chubby foot just as well. I had each pulsox hooked up to a foot to see if they were picking up the same. They weren't. I think the one we have now is more accurate and the sensors are fresher (no foot funk, no doggies have been chewing on them). Anyway, we have been able to wean her since getting the new monitor. Some of it has to do with the accuracy of the readings, but also the decongestant I am sure.
Wal-Mart makes a Pediasure knock off and we have been feeding this to her and she has been digesting it well. I have read online that Carnation Instant breakfast can also be used instead of Pediasure, but I would like to run this by a nutritionist before considering it. I haven't looked yet, but it seems that Carnation would be tons cheaper than what we are paying for even the Wal-Mart knock-off. I am only guessing but maybe it is because it doesn't have that additive for brain building called DHA Omega-3.
Amelia has 2 more teeth popping out. The one on the top popped through recently and she is working on her second bottom tooth. So she has one upstairs and one down stairs and is starting to look like a little jack-o-lantern. It is only a matter of time before the second top one comes in. It is looking pretty tender up there.
She continues to wake up every few hours through the night. She cries, one of us gets up, picks her up, pats on her for about 30 seconds, she lays her head down, we throw her back in the bed and the repeat the cycle 1.5-2 hours later throughout the night. Still can't decide if it is the teeth or the congestion. She seems to be satting fine, so I am thinking it is probably the teeth. Evolution needs to handle this teething thing. There seems like there could be a better way, because the current way is just so brutal! Both for baby and parents.
So Amelia has discovered her hair. I catch her tugging on it and then shaking her head. We already knew she had discovered my hair, because she likes to yank it violently and then laugh when I say owwwww! that hurts mommy! (Of course, she caught me laughing at her and she reached up and did it a second time so I learned my lesson.)
The last couple days, she has been feeling better and so we have been going out on the town. Saturday was an especially busy day. It was Todd and my 11th anniversary. We went over to Mr. Joe and Miss Karen's house for a back to school end of the summer party. It was crazy. There were 25 kids and probably 40 adults there. We arrived right as it started so we could get some pool time in before the hoards descended. First thing that is clear is that poor Amelia's bathing suit is begging for mercy. I tried to find a bigger bathing suit for her but they are already starting to bring fall stuff in here even though we definitely have at least another month and a half worth of pool weather to look forward to. She is a growing girl, especially in her girth and is wearing 18 month clothing to accommodate it.
Later that evening we went with Aunt Pat, Uncle Steve, Billy & Sylvia, and Grandmom and Grandad to a Japanese Steak and Sushi restuarant to celebrate. Todd and I are pretty much geniuses because off all the places we chose, we chose a Hibachi restaurant where they seat you a foot from a grill that have ridiculous open flames 3 feet tall -- near a kid with oxygen. Plus the flame was so unexpected and loud and bright it freaked Amelia out and she hid her face and started getting upset and crying. Just that day I was explaining to Todd the fire triangle -- all the elements needed to start a fire and it never once occurred to me about the restaurant we were going to that evening. Lesson learned.
Yesterday Amelia and I went to the mall for 3 hours. It was tax free shopping for back to school and all clothing no matter if you are school age or not is exempt from taxes! I also had some coupons for several places so with Amelia's encouragement I bought a new shirt and two pairs of pants. She also got her first denim jacket and a new pair of jeans. She loves the mall so very much. She likes all the people everywhere that she can watch and she likes the dressing rooms with the big mirrors where she can stare at herself.
Todd and I decided to buy our own pulsox because the one we rent from the insurance company is very expensive and we are able to get a nice one half off of retail from another preemie mom. Our insurance company apparently has an annual cap on how much they will give us for medical equipment and we reached our limit. The amount we would pay out of pocket for the remainder of the year would be more than the purchase price. It is super nice. It has a much longer battery life, is 1/3 the size and weighs nothing compared to the brick we were using. It also came with two adult sensors, but they work on Amelia's chubby foot just as well. I had each pulsox hooked up to a foot to see if they were picking up the same. They weren't. I think the one we have now is more accurate and the sensors are fresher (no foot funk, no doggies have been chewing on them). Anyway, we have been able to wean her since getting the new monitor. Some of it has to do with the accuracy of the readings, but also the decongestant I am sure.
Wal-Mart makes a Pediasure knock off and we have been feeding this to her and she has been digesting it well. I have read online that Carnation Instant breakfast can also be used instead of Pediasure, but I would like to run this by a nutritionist before considering it. I haven't looked yet, but it seems that Carnation would be tons cheaper than what we are paying for even the Wal-Mart knock-off. I am only guessing but maybe it is because it doesn't have that additive for brain building called DHA Omega-3.
Amelia has 2 more teeth popping out. The one on the top popped through recently and she is working on her second bottom tooth. So she has one upstairs and one down stairs and is starting to look like a little jack-o-lantern. It is only a matter of time before the second top one comes in. It is looking pretty tender up there.
She continues to wake up every few hours through the night. She cries, one of us gets up, picks her up, pats on her for about 30 seconds, she lays her head down, we throw her back in the bed and the repeat the cycle 1.5-2 hours later throughout the night. Still can't decide if it is the teeth or the congestion. She seems to be satting fine, so I am thinking it is probably the teeth. Evolution needs to handle this teething thing. There seems like there could be a better way, because the current way is just so brutal! Both for baby and parents.
So Amelia has discovered her hair. I catch her tugging on it and then shaking her head. We already knew she had discovered my hair, because she likes to yank it violently and then laugh when I say owwwww! that hurts mommy! (Of course, she caught me laughing at her and she reached up and did it a second time so I learned my lesson.)
The last couple days, she has been feeling better and so we have been going out on the town. Saturday was an especially busy day. It was Todd and my 11th anniversary. We went over to Mr. Joe and Miss Karen's house for a back to school end of the summer party. It was crazy. There were 25 kids and probably 40 adults there. We arrived right as it started so we could get some pool time in before the hoards descended. First thing that is clear is that poor Amelia's bathing suit is begging for mercy. I tried to find a bigger bathing suit for her but they are already starting to bring fall stuff in here even though we definitely have at least another month and a half worth of pool weather to look forward to. She is a growing girl, especially in her girth and is wearing 18 month clothing to accommodate it.
Later that evening we went with Aunt Pat, Uncle Steve, Billy & Sylvia, and Grandmom and Grandad to a Japanese Steak and Sushi restuarant to celebrate. Todd and I are pretty much geniuses because off all the places we chose, we chose a Hibachi restaurant where they seat you a foot from a grill that have ridiculous open flames 3 feet tall -- near a kid with oxygen. Plus the flame was so unexpected and loud and bright it freaked Amelia out and she hid her face and started getting upset and crying. Just that day I was explaining to Todd the fire triangle -- all the elements needed to start a fire and it never once occurred to me about the restaurant we were going to that evening. Lesson learned.
Yesterday Amelia and I went to the mall for 3 hours. It was tax free shopping for back to school and all clothing no matter if you are school age or not is exempt from taxes! I also had some coupons for several places so with Amelia's encouragement I bought a new shirt and two pairs of pants. She also got her first denim jacket and a new pair of jeans. She loves the mall so very much. She likes all the people everywhere that she can watch and she likes the dressing rooms with the big mirrors where she can stare at herself.
1 comment:
Sounds like Amelia is becoming a little fashion diva. What an amazing kid. She surprises me every time I read her blog.
-Nurse Amy
Post a Comment