Thursday, August 12, 2010

Baby Love

Today we had a pediatrician appointment and an ENT appointment and both went well. We have been weaning the diuretics and the doctor said her lungs sound crystal clear. She has had difficulty keeping up her sats on her normal 3/4 liter lately, but this is because she either has a little cold or she is having some allergy problems. Whatever it may be, neither doctor we saw seemed concerned and feel that it will be a passing thing.

Amelia weighs in at 21 lbs. 6 oz. and 29" long today!

I also want to comment on a new TV reality show on Discovery Health called NICU. I have only seen a couple episodes, but the dramatic narratives describing the "tiniest patients" strikes me as hyperbole. The smallest baby profiled that I have seen so far is around 4 lbs. and the NICU stays of the babies are weeks not months. Of course, I know that Amelia's course of 11 months as a micro-preemie is not typical, even for micro-preemies.

Beyond this, the show does not do a very good job of explaining the wherefores and whys of the babies' conditions and certainly doesn't come close to showing the reality of the family dynamic, the financial toll it takes, the stress, etc. It follows too many stories during an episode. I think they should call it NICU: best Case Scenario or NICU-Lite. Long story short, this show looks nothing like our experience and I find myself annoyed watching it, so that's an hour of my life I'll get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you and from a nurses stand point they defanitly do no justice to the true NICU experience as a nurse or a parent and they "water it down"

Post a Comment