Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Adventures in Babysitting

Last Saturday Todd and I went out on the town and left Amelia with a babysitter. Not just any old baby sitter, but one of her primary nurses from the NICU! Amy came over at 3:30 in the afternoon, allowing Todd and I time to get ready and give her a tour of where we kept all of Amelia's medications, toys, clothing and supplies.

We went to a comedy show and immediately called to check on her when we got out. She was fine and having a blast playing with her old buddy. So then we decided to go out to eat and got home around 10:30. We had a nice night out and we did not worry about her at all because we knew she was in very capable hands. Amy told us she did not go to sleep until 8:30 which is pretty late for her. She was having too much fun being a party girl.

Friday Amelia was supposed to have an echo to see how her pulmonary hypertension was doing, but they called to reschedule. Apparently Fridays are for echos on adults and Tuesdays are for children. I guess when they called to schedule it in the first place and asked to speak to the parent of Amelia -- they thought they were scheduling a 40 year old? I have been looking forward to the echo because it will mean we know where we stand with her hypertension. And if it looks good she will be able to stop taking one of her meds.

The last couple days Amelia has woken up crying multiple times throughout the night. She satts OK when she is sleeping but the crying makes her desat. We really aren't sure what is wrong -- could be her teeth, could be gas, could be her allergies. Her allergies have also been acting up the last couple days. She is very congested when she lays down, but once she sits up, the secretions move a round a lot and the suction machine has been going into overdrive. Needless to say, Todd and I have not been getting much sleep lately. I have taken naps the last couple of days.

Amelia seems like she is making some progress with eating. We are trying lot of different flavors and I am trying to increase it to 2x a day. She usually will eat about 6-8 bites before she is over it. We have been trying macaroni/beef/vegetables, mangos, apple sauce, pudding and today she had some minestrone soup. We are feeding her the Wal-Mart version of the Pediasure and she seems to be handling that better than Pediasure. We must be careful about keeping her hydrated so that she won't be constipated. One day I gave her too much prune juice and we had the opposite problem. It is a tricky balance!

She is also doing pretty well in PT. She is starting to put weight on straight arms while she is in a crawling position. We are working on transitional moves between sitting and the crawling position. She can lean way forward or to the side to get toys that are out of her reach.

As far as speaking, she is verbalizing a lot more, but it is still just sounds without much in the way of consenants and now she is doing kind of a grunting/growling thing that I am not quite sure what to make of. Today for the first time she reached out her arms for me to pick her up when I prompted her with "Mommy hold?" and pantomimed reaching out with my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment