Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Year One A.N.

Well, today is the 365th day of Amelia's life After NICU. She's a wonderful little girl and we couldn't be happier with her... well, maybe if she would sleep about an hour longer in the morning, daddy would be a little happier, but you get my drift.

Yesterday, I (daddy, that is) had baby watch. AE had her March sinagis shot and two therapies and Xina needed to stay home, so I ran around with the baby. We had the privilege of seeing Jake the barbarian and 'rents during our trip. Jake was a pod pal of AE's for a couple months, and he's looking great and healthy. So I was happy to hear and see him.

AE weighed in at 24lbs 2ozs, about the same as last month. She's burning a lot of calories moving about, I guess. She's nearly pulling up by herself, loves standing, has "cruised" the couch (it took about half an hour), loves holding on to her shopping cart walkers at home and therapy (I'm not so sure I like her getting use to shopping carts, though...) and would stand all day if we let her and her legs would support it.

Her oxygen support is getting low now... we keep her on 1/8 LPM (unless she's really really plugged up with snot) and the other night we had her on 1/16th all night and she flew... so that's our goal for this week. Being off oxygen is becoming close to a reality.

You've all been following the blog (thank you), so I won't rehash the year we've had her home. I will say that while we both feel cheated not having her home earlier and missing out on even the bad/discomforting stuff during that first 11 months of a newborn's life, this past year has been a wonderful experience and we're both so glad to be where we are. There are many children of full gestational age that are in worse shape than Amelia, and we are quite thankful for what we have and the joy she brings us and the progress she has made and will continue to make. Nothing brings us joy like her generous smile.

(Granddad, AE says good luck today, hopes to see you soon, and sends hugs and a slobbery kiss to you.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first 11 months seemed to drag on forever but the past year just flew by! I can't believe she's been home a year already!
You've got a pretty amazing kid there. She has come such a long way.
We just love her to pieces.

Marian

Anonymous said...

Quite the milestone, and she is clearly doing very well. So happy for all of you.
Marie Grip

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you, Todd! Hugs to you and the girls on your special anniversary. Yes, she IS generous with those smiles, and we love every one of them!

Amy Adams said...

Wow! Is it a year already? How amazing!

Post a Comment