Monday, May 17, 2010

Weekend Update

This weekend was rough. We basically spent most of the morning Saturday and Sunday getting Amelia suctioned out with the machine, pouring saline down her nose, bulb suctioning, etc. I was able to get away on Saturday for a pedicure while Todd took care of her. It rained most of the day so we just sat inside, hung out and played.

Sunday we decided to try to go to church again. We made it to before the first reading and we had to leave because she was having difficulty breathing. In my hasty exit, I left my purse under the pew and didn't realize it until we had made it out to the car so I had to go back in, make my way through the crowd standing in front of the door and hanging out by the back wall, and then crawl over the person sitting where we had been sitting in the pew and dove under the bench to retrieve my purse. Pretty cool feeling. (And our church apparently needs to expand to allow for more seating so people aren't standing during mass all the time.)

We brought her home, suctioned her some more and then went for a stroll around the neighborhood with the dogs. It was tooooooo hot and the dogs were trying to get us to stop at every shady spot along the way (there aren't many in our neighborhood). After we cooled down we decided to make a trip to Costco since she liked it so much last time. She did great. Then we went to an antique mall where we could push her around in her stroller. She didn't do so great there and sounded very junky.

We left and on the car ride on the way home she seemed to be desatting a lot. Her color looked very bad, she closed her eyes and she didn't cry when I was pouring saline down her nose and suctioning her out agressively with the bulb suction. I turned up her liter flow to 3LPM. We finally got home, plugged her into the pulsox and sure enough her satts were bad and dropping. We got out the suction machine again and were able to get her satts up. I gave her Bendaryl and she slowly began to get better.

Today we are at 1 LPM which is about where she is normally. I gave her two doses over night. I moved her from the bedroom into the family room this morning abd not more than 10 minutes later she started having trouble breathing again. I do not know if it was because there is something in the living room that she is allergic to (like the dogs) or if all her secretions started moving around because she wasn't resting any more. We had to suction her out with the machine again. I had not been giving her Benadryl during the day because of the drowsy effect, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I am keeping her in the bedroom becuase she seems to be doing better in here. She is sleeping in our bed right now propped up in her boppy. We bought air purifiers on Friday and have one in our bedroom and one in the family room. Our singulair prescription should be ready today and I pray that this is the magic elixir that will cure her allergy problems. If it doesn't I am not sure what our next strategy will be -- maybe an allergist. I am tired of doctors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christina - I've posted here before and follow Amelia's stories, went to school with Todd in jr high and high school. I have read your other posts of when she starts getting sick, I have had asthma all my life and still very much allergic to all dandering animals (dogs, cats, horses, deer - you name it) My room was a safe haven with air purifiers, (bubble girl)I was allergic to grass, trees, animals, mold, dust, cold air, humidity - all kinds of foods, the list just went on. I have outgrown much of my allergies, but everything you say about Amelia sounds very familiar and hope she is tested by an allergist to see if this is where some of her breathing problems are coming from. Good luck!
Kim Foucault-Lagunas
kiml@ymcahouston.org - if you have any questions I might be of help with.

Amy Francis said...

Wow! You guys deserve a weekend with no mishaps. Honestly. Anyway, I will keep you in my thoughts. Let me know if you need anything.

Post a Comment