Yesterday we started Singulair and we are also giving her Claritin and have discontinued the Zyrtec. So far this combination seems to be a winner. She is doing much better than she was doing this past weekend for sure.
We still had to suction her out this morning, but after that she was her normal smiley, happy, clapping, arm waving, leg thumping self.
ECI came by today and we worked on a couple of things like tummy time and getting her to look at objects that are placed lower than her waist. She satted well the entire time and was enjoying play time and the attention of a stranger. After that she took a 3 hour nap. When she woke up she was OK for about an hour, but then she started to desatt even though I was pouring saline down her nose and wasn't seeming to get anything with the bulb suction. I used the suction machine on her and got a lot of thick gunk that was a little further back. Since then she has been satting well and has been very playful.
We have been on the couch playing all afternoon. I was looking up music videos on You Tube and playing them for her and she was really getting into it, clapping her hands and throwing her dress over her head. Babies gone wild! After that she kind of slumped to the side and I was happy to see that she was using her arm to hold herself up. After that I showed her that she could keep slumping and get on her tummy and then roll over. Then she was rolling over off the couch and I was catching her. She loves the danger.
Now she is happily playing on her back on the floor licking her toy. She is noticing Zibby as he paces back and forth beside her. She is turning her head to look at him and is sticking out her hand to touch him. She has never done this before! She is having an awesome day.
3 comments:
I am so glad you had a fun day with AE. I am glad the new allergy meds are helping and thank goodness for that machine, too. I love the party girl emerging in her too!
So glad you have that suction machine! Sounds like you're making good use of it.
Dear Christina and Todd,
Yesterday, as you know, I celebrated having a baby 27 years ago by taking Catherine, Addie, and baby Thomas shopping to some of our favorite places in Daphne for her birthday outing. While in one shoppe, Thomas was sitting in the front of the buggy (while Addie played in the back of it) and he managed to wrangle my attention by popping the back of my hand. I looked down to find him choking...My first thought was that while I was watching Addie's antics in the back of the buggy, he had managed to pick up something, put it into his mouth and swallow it. I grabbed him up, called Catherine over, and when she got to him, he was not taking in air, was gasping, and after, as I recall, some quick, sharp smacks to his back he spit up a great deal of phlegm and a silver dollar size spot of milk. We had no sooner settled him back into the buggy, when he began choking again, this time in earnest. After much commotion from the elder generation running the shoppe, (they managed to have ratcheted up the situation) Catherine found Thomas to have spit up an inordinate amount of phlegm. (Catherine managed to get him to the bathroom and contained the mess.) He was definitely unable to draw a breath, and was beginning to panic. He settled down after a few minutes and he was fine during the rest of the outing.
Once we managed to calm all of the older ladies down, we tried to analyze what could have been the difficulty. Just before we left (about an hour prior) Catherine fed Thomas a bottle, and since he is seemingly old enough to burp by himself, packed him up and we proceeded on to Daphne. We now think that he must have had an air bubble, didn't relieve himself of it, and proceeded to finish his bottle anyway, stacking more milk on top of that air bubble. His little body was making secretions but was no longer able to swallow them due to that air bubble. Pretty scary stuff.
I am telling you all of this because I want you to know that it doesn't take very much for these little ones to become stressed to the point of an incident. It doesn't mean that you aren't taking good care of your children, just that something happens. No one knows better than me what an attentive parent you and Catherine are towards your babies. Even Thomas who is seemingly healthy seems to have suffered a similar episode with the excess mucus that Amelia has been going through. He again spit up a good bit of his bottle and phlegm this morning. This seems to be about the time when the allergies begin to kick in and show themselves.
So keep up all the suctioning and know that Amelia is worth all that you have done and will do for her. She is the HAPPIEST baby we have had so far and her Grammy misses her and you very much. Love to you, MOM/Grammy
Post a Comment