I dropped her off at the curb, got out her back pack and put it on her back. She was screaming and crying before I even made it around to the other side of the car to let her out. I told the teacher's aide about her bug bites. I told Amelia that I love her and to have fun with her friends and the teacher and I would be back soon and all the typical parent pep talk stuff, but I am pretty sure she wasn't hearing any of it over her screams and sobs.
I watched her walk into the school with the teacher and the huge back pack on her back and cried. A teacher came over to give me a pep talk. I was alright. I just had to get the little bit of sadness out of my system.
About an hour later I got a call from the school nurse concerned that she has some trouble at snack time. He couldn't seem to describe the trouble, but they noticed she had a feeding tube and started freaking out (which this should not be a surprise -- it was there last year and one would think with a class of only 12, the teacher may have familiarized herself with her special needs kids' special needs --- but anyway... )
She was coughing because she took in too much water out of an open cup. I told the teacher that she could drink from an open cup, but that she is more successful with a straw where she can control the amount of water she takes in more easily. So that was noted and they are going to give her a cup with a straw in the future.
| I've Got a Back Pack just like Dora! |
When we rolled up in the driveway and the garage door came thundering down she said: "Yay, home!"
1 comment:
Our A"dora"ble Amelia is growing up. Those first few days every year will be the hard ones, but you know how well she does in a controlled environment such as a classroom. You know too, it's harder on you than it is on her, so take a deep breath, cry when you need to and give her time. She will soon become social and not look back as she runs from the car to meet up with her friends. And let me tell you, that might be more painful than what you experienced today.
Post a Comment