Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Accidents Will Happen

Yesterday afternoon I dared to go to the bathroom and leave Amelia unattended. As I was making my way back to the family room I heard a thud and Amelia crying. She was flat on her back in front of the TV with one of her legs folded underneath her and blood coming out of her nose. It was horrifying. I picked her up and she was crying with her mouth open and she had blood in her mouth. I couldn't tell if the blood was draining from her nose into her mouth or if she had bit her tongue, too. She was rubbing the side of her head, but I didn't feel any bumps on it. She cried for a few minutes and then was easily consoled. About an hour later I started to see some swelling and bruising on her nose.


I can't get a handle on what happened. I think she was climbing on the arm of the sofa and fell off it and on her face, but I cannot be sure. I don't think she has a concussion because she was bouncing around after that, climbing on more stuff, including using the window sill as a foothold to stand up in the window. I am this close -->> <<-- to chaining the kid to a radiator.

This morning the bruising and swelling looks even worse and she has two black eyes.  So I had to explain THAT to the teacher this morning.

We narrowly escaped another incident the day after the ant incident and two days before this one --- she wanted to play on her slide and went over there and climbed up (all by herself --- there is no ladder. She has to put her hands on the platform and pull herself up on her tummy. I was so impressed!) I was standing a little distance away and noticed that she had like 10 wasps swarming around her head while she sat on the top of the slide. I had to run in and rescue her and luckily neither one of us got stung. Todd found a nest underneath the ladder that she had disturbed.

 What next? Don't answer that!

UPDATE: We went to Urgent Care and I was sent to the triage nurse who heightened my anxiety by telling me she needed a CT scan to make sure she did not have any blood clots, concussions, fractures, breaks or brain damage! She directed us to a free standing ER down the street that has a CT machine. This place was awesome. There was no wait and there was a doctor in house that took one look at her, looked at her nose, eyes and ears and said there was nothing wrong with her and sent us on our way. I told her that the other place said we needed a CT scan and she kind of rolled her eyes and shook her head. Amelia got a sticker and an in-patient bracelet. The nurse never put the bracelet on her arm, but she knew it went there and kept pushing it at me because she wanted me to put it on her arm. She also got some stickers which I was afraid she would eat, but she was having fun putting them on her arms. Yea for progress.

Hopefully this will be the last chapter of Amelia Banker's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

1 comment:

glenna said...

OH MY BeJEEBERS, It looks much worse that I had thought.....Could that little button nose of hers be broken? And what do they do about it if it were? I might would take her to the Dr and have them look at that. Ugh, looks painful.

And I think you are right about the arm of the sofa. She may have thought she could reach the fireplace and miss judged the distance and fell or may have just slipped off the edge trying to get down. She does love to climb.

You were in the bathroom, but where in the heck was Asta? Wasn't he supposed to be keeping her out of trouble? No doggie treats for him from me this week! Grammy

Post a Comment